More ....SHOW -N- TELL

David A Cherry

Originally bought this fan just for the blade and the little rubber bottom.. A lot of the rubber bottoms are missing so I thought I would sell this one on eBay, Then keep the blade for another one of my bipolar projects.. The fan was very very rough but then when I found out the base was made of brass, I made a terrible mistake of telling it to my wife as interesting.. this led her to me shining it up along with the blade and then seeing what I could do with the rest of the fan.. she didn’t like the idea I was going to pitch everything because it had lasted 100 years and that what I was doing with some sort of a crime .. I did start feeling sorry for the damn thing so interestingly when the fan was done it looked really good but it had a weird problem.. low speed was nice,  medium was high on most fans, and  high was super fast.., after just a few seconds I thought it was going to self-destruct.. I wish I would’ve taken a video but anyway I disconnected the high and now it’s only a two speed.. I have been involved with antique fans for a long time now and I have never seen a fan run at some crazy speed  as if plugged into 220 ?..The badge says 110.. style 801..is there a possibility that it’s the wrong badge on a 32 V fan.. but slow is about where it should.. So I don’t understand what’s going on..
anyway it turned out so nice that I am showing it off.. I think the brass and steel complement each other nicely..

B185E996-B324-4009-AAE3-60E71C24CE90.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Dave. Your wife is right. That fan was worth saving and it looks fabulous. I ran into the same issue recently when I had two Peerless 8 inch fans that I was restoring. The one with the good choke coil ran CRAZY fast on high speed, so much so that I'm afraid to run it at that speed. The identical fan had a bad choke coil (broken nichrome windings) which Ron May was kind enough to rewind for me and that one runs PERFECT, so much so that I may ask him to rewind the crazy fast one to his specifications so that might be something to consider.

That has to be an 8" stationary. I have never seen an 8" stationary; I didn't think they made the 8" model stationary. They did. Diehl introduced this model in 16. In 1917 Diehl marketed exclusively through Western Electric. No Diehl badges on their fan motor line in 17. 

Try running it on 32 VDC and see how it performs, you may gain back the 3rd speed. 🙂

Diehl816.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

David sent me a message as he was having trouble posting here. It is in fact an 8" stationary model, and yes, the rubber base cover in many cases has gone missing.

The 8" models are interesting construction. The base is stamped brass. The pivot and base stem are cast iron. The motor housing is a durable/hardy alloy mix die cast.

The stationary along with the oscillating model makes sense. The oscillating model can't be manually disengaged. This would have applied to the 12' and 16" models as well.

B185E996-B324-4009-AAE3-60E71C24CE90.thumb.jpeg.ca1062d12a667c4b61fe1643f8849a56.jpeg

DiehlZabriski 014.jpg

Dieh Zabriskie 111.jpg

5 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

That has to be an 8" stationary. I have never seen an 8" stationary; I didn't think they made the 8" model stationary. They did. Diehl introduced this model in 16. In 1917 Diehl marketed exclusively through Western Electric. No Diehl badges on their fan motor line in 17. 

Try running it on 32 VDC and see how it performs, you may gain back the 3rd speed. 🙂

Diehl816.v1.jpg

Diehl16.jpg

Diehl16-2.v1.jpg

Is the brass spacer between the cast iron base stem and motor housing compliments of you? 

BTW....you have to be logged in to post and reply to a post. 🙂

B185E996-B324-4009-AAE3-60E71C24CE90.thumb.jpeg.ca1062d12a667c4b61fe1643f8849a56.jpeg

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Is the brass spacer between the cast iron base stem and motor housing compliments of you? 

BTW....you have to be logged in to post and reply to a post. 🙂

Geoff Dunaway 1917 WE marketed Diehl 8" models.

HPIM1825.JPG

HPIM1826.JPG

David

This fan looks awesome.   I cannot add to the technical aspects of the post but I can say you did an outstanding job on this one, as usual.   Will be interesting to see if it runs better on lower voltage 

Mel

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

It was a little loose between the neck and the motor for some reason so it needed a fiber washer or something anyway I wound up making a brass ring on my lathe just for kicks and giggles and it really complimented it so I left it on.. I was wondering if someone was going to notice that..so the answer is yes

Edited by David A Cherry