How to separate a ball motor housing?

Dennis Long

I'm working on a Veritys fan with a ball motor. I have the housing ready to separate, but don't want to damage anything, and am unsure how to separate the 2 halves of the housing. I've tried some gentle tapping with a screwdriver/rubber hammer all along where the red arrow points, but it won't budge.

Also, the oscillator control on top of the oscillator is not wanting to come out (#1 in the pic), and the plate on the back of the oscillator (#2) is loose, but also doesn't want to come out.  They may just need some coersion, but I'd rather ask first.  Also, does one of the oscillator pieces need to come out before the other?

So, any tips on (1) separating the 2 halves of the ball motor, and (2) getting the oscillator components out would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Motor Housing pic 1 - s2.jpg

Loosen all screw on the gear housing first.  Do not force the gears out by pulling.  Rotate motor shaft by hand.  The rear worm gear will push out first.  The vertical gear will come out next by gently rotating.  Once all the gears are release and not forced out, gently tap the rim with a rubber mallet all all side. 

Don't forget to pop the cap.  The cap can be removed by lifting it.  I take crazy glue and glue the top of the cap onto a stick and pull it.  Then apply gentle heat to remove the glue.  Others have use a razor blade....I have not tried this yet.

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

Don't forget to pop the cap.  The cap can be removed by lifting it.  I take crazy glue and glue the top of the cap onto a stick and pull it.  Then apply gentle heat to remove the glue.  Others have use a razor blade....I have not tried this yet.

Nail Polish remover is the Kryptonite of super glue

• Like 1

FWIW....I would use some fine wet dry, or a fine wire wheel on the front armature shaft to smooth out that rusted shaft before driving it or pulling it through the bearing.

1807741796_MotorHousingpic1-s2.thumb.jpg.4d8361c802c106f56e8a38056a0af490.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Louis, using your tips, I made some progress thanks to you pointing out that I needed to rotate the motor shaft to get the worm gear out. The yellow arrow in pic #1 shows the empty worm hole pointing to the worm gear I got out.  Thanks for that secret.  👍

I went on to try removing the vertical gear next, but I’m stuck, literally. It doesn‘t want to budge. Pic #2 shows the vertical gear inside the wormhole in position to engage the worm. Pic #3 shows the knob on the vertical gear in an elevated position (you can see the exposed threads). The knob won't descend when I turn it in either direction (maybe a moot point). I’m concerned about putting too much upward force on that vertical gear knob. BTW, turning the knob does cause the oscillator shaft to move. Any suggestions at this point?

Also, in your latest post, you say “Don’t forget to pop the cap.”. When you say “cap”, are you referring to the plate being pointed to by my green arrow?

Worm Screw Out - s with arrows.jpg

Peeking at oscillator gear inside worm srew hole - s.jpg

Exposed threads - s.jpg

Russ, thanks for suggesting I smooth out that rusted shaft before driving it or pulling it through the bearing. I will do that.

I read the other thread you shared regarding separating the ball motor housing. So, you're suggesting I drive off the back half of the housing by tapping the end of the rotor shaft that sticks out the front of the motor housing, versus tapping all around the seam between the 2 halves?

2 hours ago, Dennis Long said:

Louis, using your tips, I made some progress thanks to you pointing out that I needed to rotate the motor shaft to get the worm gear out. The yellow arrow in pic #1 shows the empty worm hole pointing to the worm gear I got out.  Thanks for that secret.  👍

I went on to try removing the vertical gear next, but I’m stuck, literally. It doesn‘t want to budge. Pic #2 shows the vertical gear inside the wormhole in position to engage the worm. Pic #3 shows the knob on the vertical gear in an elevated position (you can see the exposed threads). The knob won't descend when I turn it in either direction (maybe a moot point). I’m concerned about putting too much upward force on that vertical gear knob. BTW, turning the knob does cause the oscillator shaft to move. Any suggestions at this point?

Also, in your latest post, you say “Don’t forget to pop the cap.”. When you say “cap”, are you referring to the plate being pointed to by my green arrow?

Worm Screw Out - s with arrows.jpg

Peeking at oscillator gear inside worm srew hole - s.jpg

Exposed threads - s.jpg

Pop the cap...I meant remove the emblem cap.  Clean off the cap real well with rubbing alcohol.  Let it dry.  Then get a wooden lollipop stick.  Super glue the flat end (middle) to the cap.  Lift the cap off.  There is a screw underneath that needs to be remove.  The shaft will also come off by turning the rotor?...or the bottom rear shaft.  Again, don't force the gears...it slides right out.

40 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Pop the cap...I meant remove the emblem cap.  Clean off the cap real well with rubbing alcohol.  Let it dry.  Then get a wooden lollipop stick.  Super glue the flat end (middle) to the cap.  Lift the cap off.  There is a screw underneath that needs to be remove.  The shaft will also come off by turning the rotor?...or the bottom rear shaft.  Again, don't force the gears...it slides right out.

Ahhhh, so this is the "cap"?

Oscillator cap 2 s with red circle.jpg

Oscillator Cap s with red line.jpg