What's my next step? Eck hurricane sidegear

David Kilnapp

Happy Monday, fan friends. Recall my recent post about what to do about the lack of fast speed and middle speed on my recently acquired Eck Hurricane sidegear. Below is the speed coil before I reconditioned it.  The second picture is how it looks after I repaired the broken ends with pool putty and cleaned all the contacts.

Before:

IMG_2692.thumb.JPG.96982bddb0d64bddc70540673a97f4ed.JPG

After:

IMG_2701.thumb.JPG.9bd5ed1df85c152f96aed04074d3d4ca.JPG

The good news is that the fan starts fine on its own (on high speed) and there are three distinct speeds...high, medium and low.

The high speed isn't as high as I would expect and the low speed is very slow though the oscillation works just fine on all three speeds.

So here's my question. What is my next step to increase the speeds on all three settings? Do I try different combinations of the three headwires? What would you do? Leave it alone as  is? I should add that the stator was rewound at some point in this fan's life perhaps by the previous owner.

Advice???

And by the way, you can't beat pool putty for repairing broken porcelain switch bases. Good stuff!

Edited by David Kilnapp

Thanks Chris. I'm not sure which two (of the three) headwires to attach my alligator clips to test your theory. The bearings are nice and everything is lubricated. I broke the fan down completely as is my custom and cleaned and lubricated everything. The fan was in pristine condition. I was under the impression that putting power to two of three headwires was not a good idea?

Edited by David Kilnapp