#6 Verity's Zephyr, "Black Bomber"

Bill Dunlap

This was a long restoration for me. Many obstacles to overcome. Not mentioned in the video; I replaced the hex bar "C" frame and motor loop with brass stock due to the fact that the originals were so rusty that it would have taken more time to clean them up. The cage came in pieces and needed new spokes and back ring and then nickel plated. I also install bridge rectifiers in these to eliminate any possibility of issues from running these on 60 cycles rather than 50. Setting these up to run right requires hours of assembly, testing, disassembly to sort issues, then re-assembly. Then repeat a dozen times. Very fiddly and time consuming to get them to work properly.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Great job Bill! I wouldn't feel bad about what you did to get the spur gear to engage given its wear.  That was a good solution. I'd like to hear more or see more about how you solved the bubbling issue on the pot metal skin. Very ingenious solution to use foil and a skim coat to solve that issue. All in all, this is a very nice job. The alternative was the junk heap, or worse, stuck in a corner waiting for a replacement gear that might never be available right? As always, I enjoy your videos so thanks for posting.

I listened about your paint problem with the pot metal, I had the same problem and I seem to have solved it by using a propane torch to lift the oil out of the porous pot metal. Doing this several times with lacquer thinner and a paper towel, untill it is squeaky clean.. Then spray with a lacquer base super fast drying primer, Before finishing with rust oleum (ultra) high gloss which seems to only be sold at Walmart here in Ohio.. It also dries very fast, And your fan will look like it has been dipped in glass, Only if you spray one coat, Sometimes the second coat will react with the first so it’s a one time shot.. I make mine a little on the wet side and rotate everything in front of a fan so there are no runs.. It will look powder coated when done correctly.. If things go south just strip it all back down and start over...practice makes perfect

34A95FAF-3199-473C-8147-8D9110247702.jpeg

Edited by David A Cherry