GE AK1 AOU Gearbox Top Screw Mod & screws available

John Landstrom

Kind of a weird title but here’s the short and sweet…..

The threads in the gearbox, on the bushing side were broken leaving no threads to hold the lid screw in place if the set screw that holds the bushing from backing out was installed.   (the set screw is threaded in before the screw)  I found out a while back that these brass screws are 8-36 NF but haven’t found a supplier in town or online.  A local supplier had nuts and a tap, but no screws.  
I happened to find some on eBay that were 1-1/2” and grabbed ‘em with a plan in mind.   

Basically I’d delete the set screw and just make the screw longer, tapering it at the bottom like the set screw is.   Then the screw would serve both functions. Both secure the top and put pressure on the bushing to keep it from backing out.  Seems to have worked like a charm !  See pics below.  

If anyone else has the same problem, or can’t find gearbox top screws anywhere I have 20 of the brass 8-36 x 1-1/2”  screws left.  Easily trimmed down to whatever length you need.   If you would like a couple message me.  I may put them in the WTS area later.  

8CEDAAA1-3BE8-4999-BC97-612EC3660CDB.jpeg

D0B9DF15-724D-4584-ACD9-BEAF926552CE.jpeg

5329D81A-3E25-4FED-9C68-DB0F04C1F575.jpeg

3F0840B2-AE71-46A0-8C7C-0E8C36EA6AC6.jpeg

CB8A6758-B140-427D-B74C-65DE96613EAB.jpeg