Fan blade turning in the wrong direction

Aaron Gillette

In my effort to rewire a GE fan motor ca. 1930, shaded poll, four field coils, ungrounded, the motor runs backwards, counterclockwise. It certainly is blowing air out, but behind the blades, not in front of them. I thought reversing the direction of the current in the leads to the power source (in other words, swapping the + for the - and visa versa) would change the direction of the rotor, but no. So I guess I need to take the motor apart, rotate the stator 180 degrees, and reassemble? Every time I dissemble or reassemble the motor I have to bang the hell out of the motor housing to pull it off the stator, chipping the new paint and leaving little dents all over the motor housing rims. But if I must, I must, I suppose.

Ha I did the same thing in my early days. The stator is in backwards. On those GEs, the headwire is run through the stator & out the other end. On reassembly it is really easy to forget this & put the stator in backwards making it turn in reverse.

BTW, polarity makes no difference on an induction motor.

20 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

The stator is in backwards.

Right-on!, Stan.

The direction of rotation of shaded pole motors is from the unshaded parts of the poles towards the shaded parts.

2128709793_shaded-pole-motor(1).png.4f51ce95390556f7e3d58363748fa9c7.png

2 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Anybody else see what's
wrong with the diagram
above?  wondering.gif.cb5446b1c3a63f3fe764c31da85dd7d3.gif

Looks like 3 of the coils are wound CCW and one is CW. 

10 minutes ago, Ron May said:

Make sense of the 9 o'clock winding. Follow the wire in and around to the next pole. 🙂

2 hours ago, Ron May said:

Keen eye, Ron.  Thumbup.gif.4f2e1e7d8ebd694b33c570213d303ee9.gif

Screenshot_20221023-154056_Chrome.thumb.jpg.234e8fa00738413e61239191b3a7ca47.jpg

The red arrows show current direction during one half cycle and of course the current reverse during the other half cycle.

Now, if the 3 o'clock coil was reversed, we'd have a...
    "spinner - spinner,
       chicken dinner."

Edited by Jim Kovar
  • Like 1

Here's how one can determine magnetic polarity using the "Left Hand Rule."

word-image-26.png.13f9ef2f7871c199cd78560edeac2878.png

The "Left Hand Rule" is used for electron (nonconventional) current flow.

I once had an old-school instructor who used conventional (current flows from positive to negative) flow in his instruction.

Told us all, "Sh!t doesn't flow uphill!"  I.e. kinetic energy always flows from a higher potential to a lower.

I think there may have been some holes in his theory concerning current flow? tongue.gif.24c1112eac28518f86fc5ee4124afe72.gif

Edited by Jim Kovar
  • Like 1

Notice where the wire comes in at the top (arrowed stator winding) to make its first wind around the pole. Follow the course of the wires first wind around the pole carefully with your eye. Now notice the second wind to the left of the first is coming up from the underside of the stator across the top of the stator traveling down to the underside of the stator of the next pole. Now following the first wind carefully with your eye once again, how in the h ell did that wind connect to the second wind to the left of it?

The error he made was drawing the second outside wind, and because like most of my pencils his eraser is worn and gone to correct the error.

Screenshot_20221023-154056_Chrome.thumb.jpg.234e8fa00738413e61239191b3a7ca47.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

1 hour ago, Jim Kovar said:

Or Russ, possibly
   another explanation...

A small "loop-de-loop"
hidden on the backside.

Screenshot_20221023-231947_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a0d41fae4b5a7ca5a9332288ceb3f9e9.jpg

No eraser. Time to give it a rest.

GUEST_1368bdc4-2876-4bfb-abd2-f6c7d50c829b.jpg