Value of Robbins and Myers D12A6 fan

Tim Babcock

I ran across this at an antique store. This is not the exact fan, I pulled an image from the net. But its in good condition and I don't see any thing missing. The only issue is that when its plugged in it wants to turn and goes about an inch and just hums. Also when I turn the blade by hand while its humming it does not start up. So it may be wired wrong. Not sure of the issue. It was offered to me for 40 dollars. I think that is a fair price. Thanks for any help. s-l1600.thumb.jpg.70ce2c3874e99cff0daa2c6ad27852e6.jpg

I took this fan apart and before I did I could only get it to hum. It wanted to turn but then froze up. Could be the starter winding wired wrong. or something else. This fan does not look like its been messed with. Does anyone have the numbers for this motor stater wiring diagram ect and places I should check. Thanks. DSC08072.JPG.7c543f7a3c39032c4dd897c6faf58279.JPGDSC08073.JPG.ae01307aa786f9d028697f771a5b1931.JPG

No I did not. Is that the square box mounted to the base plate? What are the numbers it should read or is it for continuity? I don't have a capacitor meter. Also does the capacitor have a neg and pos side that has to be checked polarity? Thanks

I tried setting the multi-meter to Ohms and I get nothing. I  changed sides of the capacitor neg and pos and still nothing. I discharged the capacitor and tried again and no reading at all.  I am assuming that means the capacitor is DOA. DO I have to source the same one from a downer fan or can I put a modern capacitor on it?

24 minutes ago, Ed Teach said:

No I did not. Is that the square box mounted to the base plate? What are the numbers it should read or is it for continuity? I don't have a capacitor meter. Also does the capacitor have a neg and pos side that has to be checked polarity? Thanks

Yes the square box is the capacitor, it should be rated for  2mfd. Polarity doesn’t matter since it’s AC.

I get no reading on it at all in Ohms on the Multi meter. Can I replace this with a modern capacitor? Is so what rating should it have? So it should not have to be an electrolytic cap if its not polarity specific is that correct?

You need a capacitance setting on your meter. Most less-expensive meters don’t have the setting. Just replace it. They’re less than $5

After removing the hold down bracket on the R&M capacitor I saw the writing under it. Its a 2 MFD 220v ac capacitor. The one I found above is close but I am not sure the UF  is the same size as MDF. From what I understand they are the same measurement but UF is smaller increments of a MDF. So I would say that one I posted above is not compatible with what I need.

2 hours ago, Ed Teach said:

After removing the hold down bracket on the R&M capacitor I saw the writing under it. Its a 2 MFD 220v ac capacitor. The one I found above is close but I am not sure the UF  is the same size as MDF. From what I understand they are the same measurement but UF is smaller increments of a MDF. So I would say that one I posted above is not compatible with what I need.

UF is just another way to express MFD (they’re the same measurement) so the capacitor you posted above will work as a replacement.

Thanks. I ordered the Cap. I only have one other issue I need some advice on. The neck to the head, there is one set screw I found on the side of the necks swivel. I removed it and I let it sit for a day with penetrating oil. I put a flat screw driver in-between the neck and head and it moved a bit, about 1/4 inch then stopped. I don't want to wrench on it and break the head. Is there another set screw on this model for the neck swivel?

I haven’t read all of this thread, so I’m not sure but if this is a model D12A6 I have a hand drawing from 2021 when I did the fan.

i will try to touch it up tomorrow so it will photograph better.  I have stator ohm readings too.  And yes, replacing the capacitor is the correct thing to do. It’s a 2uf at 330 volts.  This fan is one of the quietest fan ever!  The oscillator brass gear wears against a steel gear too. You can get that too.

Best Regards,  Malcolm 

Thanks for the help. I have it together. Your schematics. I am just waiting on the cap to come in the post. I did mark all the ends as I cut them colorized  that and your diagram I think its correct. 

I am having trouble with the wiring. I got the fan wired and it ran backwards. Not sure but I know the stater is not backwards. The wiring went in to the front or the head wire comes out the front to the exit hole. I did not do anything but put the cap on with out any certain orientation. Can it be reversed and have it run clockwise?  I checked the wiring a couple of times but I can not find anything where I reversed the wires. But I must have. So anyone know where to start looking? When I cut the fan apart I marked the line it and head wire where they went to and just wired it up the same way. But it could be that who ever wired it up before me did not do it correctly and I am relying on their work to be correct. Thanks for any help.