CAST IRON REPAIR

Roger Borg

Have a shipping sob story in need or repair.

Is it possible to glue cast iron? Lords adhesive, other industrial grade stuff? Welding?

It's at motor / neck joint, so it is structural and needs to be strong. The fan is otherwise in original condition, and I would prefer the cleanest and least visually intrusive way to repair.

All feedback appreciated... 

56% silver, orange flux coated brazing rods. They wet really nice to cast iron and provide a strong weld. Experience with oxy-acetylene welding is a big plus. Once the initial weld is complete, capping with regular white coated brass rod is an option, grinding and or sanding the completed repair can result in a strong, ready to paint, then invisible repair. High silver content brazing rods are the ticket for thin cast iron welding.

I just use brass brazing rod and powdered flux for repairs and custom work. I sometimes use Harris 45 sliver solder for small projects and brass to cast iron.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

3 hours ago, Doug Wendel said:

What is the fan.  pics please.

I think I might cry or scream if I posted pics right now.

UPS denied my claim because I got an email that said click here if you may not be home. So I did. But took delivery in person as I was actually home at the time. But apparently that released them from any liability. What friggin bs!! So now I'm out purchase price, shipping, and all I have to show for it is a busted piece of cast iron.

It was a 910 btw...

Roger sent me pictures over the weekend. I think it would be a good idea that you take a break and step back and take a break from this, Roger. If in fact your blade hub is not fractured, the blade can be re-winged. The rear motor housing despite how ugly the fracture looks to you CAN be repaired. Just some realistic hope for you and your present state of mind until you feel better and move forward.

6 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

BTW.........FWIW.....Bobby Gaines, if willing, has shown some real talent doing repairs such as seen in your post. And he is super fussy. 🙂 

Sorry everyone, I shouldn't use the forum to vent.  Thanks all...