All brass Crocker Wheeler 8” fan

Ron Wallace

41 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Tag says 60 cycles.

Thanks!   That provided me enough of a clue to do some research.   Had no idea.

Thanks again,

They made these in two models. Yours has the base speed switch. The other model had a push button on-off in the base. It had a knob on top. By moving the knob, you rotated the brushes to the armature, varying the speed.

4 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Ron, please measure the blade diameter and confirm 8" If you haven't already.

Ooops …….9” blade.   So much for guessing.

4 hours ago, Doug Wendel said:

Is that the most me from the KC market I saw on FB or Craig’s (I can’t remember)?

2 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

They made these in two models. Yours has the base speed switch. The other model had a push button on-off in the base. It had a knob on top. By moving the knob, you rotated the brushes to the armature, varying the speed.

Thanks Steve.

Ron, the 9" C-W "all brass" it appears came in 2 flavors starting in 1912, that being they were marketed in alternating or direct current with base slide switch.  In 1915 C-W introduced another 9" AC all brass model with stator/brush shift speed adjustment. So, starting in 1915 it appears the C-W AC model went from a base slide switch to the stator/brush shift speed adjustment. In 1919 C-W announces suspending fan motor sales.

C-W15.v1.jpg

crocker-wheeler-antique-all-brass_1_2597c00f2e1a9c8d6ac32b7316f4affc.jpg

crocker-wheeler-antique-all-brass_1_2597c00f2e1a9c8d6ac32b7316f4affc (1).jpg

• Like 1

There would be 3 models to collect, 2 slide switch models tagged either AC or DC, and the funky 1915 introduction AC model that dumped the AC base slide switch model. 

C-W resumed fan motor manufacture in 1912 claiming 9", 12", and 16" models. The 12" and 16" models are very elusive.

Ron

Great looking patina on that fan and you have found a nice one.   I always enjoy when members weigh in with great information about the fans being shown.   What a wealth of information resides with this group.   Not sure we could collect as we do without this club and forums. 

C-W all brass 9" AC model with base slide switch marketed 1912-1914. C-W all brass DC 9" model with base slide switch in base marketed 1912-1918. C-W all brass AC model with stator/brush shift marketed 1915-1918.

C-W19-1.v1.jpg

C-W19.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 11:08 PM, Russ Huber said:

There would be 3 models to collect, 2 slide switch models tagged either AC or DC, and the funky 1915 introduction AC model that dumped the AC base slide switch model. 

C-W resumed fan motor manufacture in 1912 claiming 9", 12", and 16" models. The 12" and 16" models are very elusive.

I made a post to ask about these recently, but received no replies. From what I can see from mine and other collectors' shared photos, the earlier 9" AC model with base three-speed slide switch, starting in 1912, is model 'No. 134806,' and has a SQUARE rear cage ring, and was originally finished in a BLACK COPPER OXIDE, on COPPER Plating; I surmise that they did NOT have a brass finish (unless someone can find documentation for multiple finishes)!!!

As your March 1915 Electrical magazine print shows, the rear ring is now ROUND. And, according to members photos, this is model 'Code 15258.' Did the DC have a different motor tag/model number?

The finish mentioned for the C-W all brass in 12 is black lacquer or gun metal finish. 1915 through its last year on the market in 18 is dark nickel. 

C-W12Descrip..v1.jpg

C-W9inch-12.v1.jpg

C-W12-12inch-16inch.v1.jpg

C-WBracket-12.v1.jpg

C-WTable-12.v1.jpg

content.v1 (25).jpg

CW12.png

CW14.png

CW15.png

CW15.jpg

CW16.png

CW17.png

CW18.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Russ-a gentleman AND a scholar! (-;

But this begs the question, then why aren't more being returned to the original finish when restored, rather than made polished brass? Polished brass is historically WRONG! No?

Edited by Paul Michael
typo as always