How to check a GE fan motor with a multimeter ?? Any electrical guru’s out there?

John Landstrom

Mark,

I’ll keep fiddling with it today.  Send me your mailing/contact info with messaging function.   We can discuss more it problems continue.  

Anthony,

it looks good, but I’ll try your recommendation just to be sure.  

thanks guys. 

Sure , in a bit.  Have it apart again as I feel the rotor hanging up on the stator.  After removing the rotor I saw visual evidence the the rotor is scraping against the front portion of the stator.  *Note-I sprayed the inside of the stator and rotor with insulating varnish and noticed the scraping of the finish. 

The motor is from a donor fan and very obviously had major torque applied - enough to shear off the “screw” portion on the front portion of the shaft. Can’t see evidence of wobble when I chuck it into a drill driver but…..  trying to figure out of the inside metal of the stator got bent or tweaked enough to induce the scraping.   I can hear the rotor scrape when I spin it by hand.  
Don’t know if I should use a small hammer and punch to try and push the sections outwards or not.  

Correction….the sheared off part is on the rear shaft of the rotor that goes into the gearbox.

Also, the gearbox I’m using is (from what I was told) from a 1950-ish fan.  The oiler cup is (factory?) plugged. No wick hole where the brass bushing goes, and a hole drilled down into the gearbox from where the drain hole for the oiler is/was.   

Anthony, here are the pics.  Seems very tight although the shadow may make it seem like it’s not. I’ve used a rubber hammer to tap it and it’s solid. 

7EB3780D-7047-410C-9ED5-776EEDB4B29C.jpeg

572E746D-3A40-415F-BFB0-5D7C2C80164E.jpeg

Mark and Anthony, 

(wow!  Mark Anthony…..who’d a thunk?)

Took off the replacement gearbox and installed the backside of a trashed AK1 gearbox with a bushing set I had.  

Hit the power and the motor came to life.   Quiet, no buzzing, no binding.  Just a nice quiet purr !   Nice !!

You can easily see where the rotor shaft sheared off at the gearbox.   Have an email in to Darryl Hudson but haven’t heard back yet.  Hoping he/someone can fix it cheaper than buying another rotor if I could even find one.  Fingers crossed on finding another AK1 gearbox.  (Yea, good luck I know)

1900FD21-406E-441E-801B-6CAD63959B68.jpeg

52BD5445-A52C-45A5-B18C-647AC3AF2C6A.jpeg

• Like 1

The rotor should be super easy.  There are hundreds of broken GE potmetal gearbox fans out there.   That means there are hundreds of good rotors too.   Gearbox on the other hand could take a while.

100% Anthony.  I’ll ask around on this site.   It’ll be a frankenfan I’m thinking.  Need a few major parts.  Base plate, speed switch, gearbox, rotor, trumpet…… probably not worth the time, money, and effort.  I have a damaged cage (need one replacement wire), a Century brass blade, and most all the smaller parts for the AOU, and all the “frame” parts.  

May just put the parts up for sale.