GE Fan speed coil issues runs the same on all three speeds

Tim Babcock

This is for the AVV GE fan I am working on. When I bought it it ran on all three speeds but it ran the same speed. I thought because the wiring was replaced on the line in it was maybe a bypass of the speed coil. But after getting it wired up its not. I do not know how to actually test a speed coil, I have been told its not possible with a multimeter alone. But if I set the multimeter to Ohms and I hold one probe to the high speed and then the other to the medium speed I get a reading, and then to the slow speed I get a reading. I would think that if the coil is not broken and making contact it should work. Its only a two wire head so not much to really worry about that way. There just does not seem to be any room for me to mess up the wiring. Line in connection is High and goes strait to the head. Medium runs through the coil, and slow runs through the coil. So I must be a bad coil. DSC08121.JPG.0f9a062ab12a5076ebb97c1e87f13955.JPGDSC08122.JPG.4406c58b43375204bc386bbc2e05059c.JPG

So I get on my multimeter  AtoB .9 CtoB 2.3 and AtoC3.0 So very close. Is it possible, that if I have no fan on the motor its hard to tell the speed difference? Most times I can hear the RPM difference. Thanks for the help.

I put the blade on and it does not sound like there is any difference. I put the amp meter on it draws .85  on high .85 on medium and .85 on low.

I remember a post by David H. A long time ago. He could not get speeds till he cleaned all the contacting parts. These were soldered connections though but you may want to try...

13 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I remember a post by David H. A long time ago. He could not get speeds till he cleaned all the contacting parts. These were soldered connections though but you may want to try...

I can check the readings through the brass screw heads that connect to the switch lever. If it reads good there I don't think its a connection issue.  But I am taking it to Harrison today and maybe someone can figure it out.