Emerson 1/3hp beauty!

George Durbin

George this is not an ordinary early Emerson motor. First of all it has a pulley that held a very large flat belt used to run very large machines. Not the same as a typical v belt for running a table saw etc. Also the speed is rated at 900!! This must be an 8 pole motor at 60 cycles!! Very unique and obviously ran a large piece of equipment at that slow speed. Given these facts and the 1/3 HP, this is likely a weighted clutch start rotor assembly and is completely different than the centrifugal start on the lower torqued motors. If it is a clutch start, you’ll notice the motor will start and pick up like a jet engine getting louder while the rotor is completely still until finally the rotor engages and takes off full speed maybe 3-4 seconds after starting the motor. This was designed on higher torqued motors to help with the initial load required to start the device. If you do have this type of motor I am quite envious! Please share more if/when you work on this piece. It is a shame the terminal and base are incorrect. Maybe Chris Cambell is willing to manufacture a new correct black porcelain block for you. I am willing to use mine that is in flawless condition to help document size and shape etc.

Nice find!

I need to look at the literature but the design on the housing where the pulley is is very odd. I wonder if this held a belt guard or cage… this motor isn’t like the others that pop up from time to time… very cool

37 minutes ago, Ben Guegain said:

George this is not an ordinary early Emerson motor. First of all it has a pulley that held a very large flat belt used to run very large machines. Not the same as a typical v belt for running a table saw etc. Also the speed is rated at 900!! This must be an 8 pole motor at 60 cycles!! Very unique and obviously ran a large piece of equipment at that slow speed. Given these facts and the 1/3 HP, this is likely a weighted clutch start rotor assembly and is completely different than the centrifugal start on the lower torqued motors. If it is a clutch start, you’ll notice the motor will start and pick up like a jet engine getting louder while the rotor is completely still until finally the rotor engages and takes off full speed maybe 3-4 seconds after starting the motor. This was designed on higher torqued motors to help with the initial load required to start the device. If you do have this type of motor I am quite envious! Please share more if/when you work on this piece. It is a shame the terminal and base are incorrect. Maybe Chris Cambell is willing to manufacture a new correct black porcelain block for you. I am willing to use mine that is in flawless condition to help document size and shape etc.

Nice find!

It wouldn't run a very large machine at 1/3 HP!

~Sparky~

17 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

I need to look at the literature but the design on the housing where the pulley is is very odd. I wonder if this held a belt guard or cage… this motor isn’t like the others that pop up from time to time… very cool

1907 emerson monthly c/o russ, c/o steve.

Maybe it's this:

Screenshot_20221103-173531_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice!   I’ve looked for one for a couple years, but the price tags generally discouraged me 😁   Will this motor be put to practical use?

7 hours ago, Todd Adornato said:

Very nice!   I’ve looked for one for a couple years, but the price tags generally discouraged me 😁   Will this motor be put to practical use?

It will be cleaned, oiled and the lettering on the end castings high lighted! I got lucky with this one to even find it...

The last one I have watched sell was at Fan Fair 2 years ago... A little nicer... My last bid was $800 and the gavel price was $1200! I was heart broken!!😅🤣😂

Same as Roger, I consulted The Emerson Monthly magazines the other night, to no particular avail; I was looking for a match on the motor, which I imagined might be slightly older than the first 1907 available edition of the magazine. There was something close, in that it was a slow-speed (1150 rpm) motor, wrong HP, wrong pulley, but old-style model designation.  I believe the image is for a 1/4HP, but you get the idea...

image.thumb.png.df08c79a4d338c577c26b6f2e0f8e3c1.png

In any old engravings I've seen, the Emerson motors applied to water pumps had the belt tensioner attached to the motor, and in searching, I hoped for a clear image of Emerson's mechanism and its attachment.

image.thumb.png.f583ecdad8413102a9f67078299b5183.png

I have no idea of the current disposition of the Hoehn archive, wherein all answers probably reside.

The only water pump I've examined in person carried the same broad belt drive, and the motor functioned in the manner explained by Ben... a Fort Wayne SA motor with the clutch-action shaft, and its tensioner was attached to the pump's frame.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc863c693ffebe601f7c9866b8c028c2.jpeg

Here's an Emerson matched to its machine with independent tensioning, but the motor has a proper factory base, while it appears to my eye George's motor has a piece of 1/8-inch steel in place of the more substantial slab.

image.png.f4a117d211f0a1bc44c1bdd771a85c3b.png

Two things jump out at me regarding the Emerson motor George acquired: the speed of it, and the mounting bosses on one face which, combined with the lack of a proper base made me suspect the motor might have been produced specifically for the Davidson fan option (not the Parker-bladed exhaust fan which had different mounting) offered by Emerson.

image.jpeg.a4af9aa835b73a36b1576a4f54e4517e.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7b8131ecca010fd77c4e30a7fc19da46.png

I can't say this is a match for the motor under discussion, but it's an application which ought to appeal to Forum readership... But it seems to me this one has possibilities...

image.png.01fa1ecc260a8b81fe64b9233241fc1d.png

The belt pulley is an argument against the motor being purposed for anything other than independent machinery, but I could find no clear photo of how the Emerson tensioner attached to its motor, the single image not being very helpful.

image.thumb.png.02a11cd24fb0b865d3e38a1aae808c23.png

The absence of proper base on the beauteous motor can be explained away. Whether those tapped holes are intended to mount something to the motor, or to mount the motor to something else is a question which bears examination, because what's evident is that's not a casual bit of casting and machining on the motor cap, and has to serve a purpose. That particular motor speed, 900 rpm, as opposed to the more commonly available 1150rpm, must also have specific significance. Only other comment would be that's a lot of fastening for a tensioner...

I haven't put in the hour required for that very pertinent YouTube, but will get to it, as I sure admire the motors.....

Edited by Steve Rockwell
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 6:55 PM, George Durbin said:

...Emerson 1/3hp motor!

One-third HP rating
equivalent to...

6141829a58ed1.jpeg.639ac32e23ed0087d58b7bfcd4cb9b3e.jpeg

BTW, Rocky, nice motor!

On 11/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, Russ Huber said:

If PI is stamped into the class section of the tag, it is cool no matter what. 🙂

Hi Russ! And thanks to all searching for answers! I will get some delrin from Kim Frank and make a better looking terminal plate...

What is the deal with a "PI" stamped into the brass plate?

I am not up on these things but I sure am an admirer!

Thank for the info!!

20221023_171416.jpg

20221023_171348.jpg

Delrin/Acetol is a d amn good idea. The sharp corners of the cut Delrin block can be smoothed out to make it look like the missing porcelain block. Once the mounting holes for the brass terminals are drilled and tapped, buffing wheel to a luster, or mutiple coats of high gloss black finish.

The PI classification signifies it is cool. I hope this helps.