My pancake find.

Trevor Andersen

12 hours ago, Bob Peshoff said:

1905 cake measures 2.441 inches between rear ring and front ring.

Trevor, I wanted to answer you early today but couldn't find my vernier calipers so thanks for asking as I found the calipers after a fairly thorough search:  in a bin under the dashboard of my old RAV 4.   I don't remember why I was hauling the calipers away from my home.   Here's what I get from a very original 1905 12" pancake, original finish and the cage has not had the wires shortened as often happens.  Measured with care from back surface of the front ring to the front surface of the back ring.   To confirm I measured at a few places on the cage then checked on a very original 1904 pancake which was close to identical.   Anything very close to these measurements should be as close as you can get:

2-11/16" (2.687") and another measurement was 2-21/32" (2.655").

I have a hunch that Bob's pancake may have had the cage repaired by shortening the S-wires where they may have broken off at the rear ring.   If you need other measurements I'd be happy to provide more.

Edited by Steve Stephens
Add a missing space
  • Thanks 2

And my calipers have a normal place to reside in my second down desk drawer so I was flabbergasted when I opened the drawer and didn't see them.  They have been there for many YEARS.   I constantly have to try to put things back where they belong and, fortuitously, I am usually doing it correctly.

Edited by Steve Stephens
typing error