The Thermo Fan Waukee, Iowa 1914

Ron Wallace

I live 10 minutes from Waukee.  It’s one of the fastest growing communities in Iowa.  My mother in law graduated from Waukee in 1946 in a class of only 12 students.  Now they just built a new school which divided the district into Waukee North which now competes with Waukee south.  I bought one of these fans 20 years ago at a local auction.  I’ve  mentioned this fan around Waukee old timers every chance I get and no one has ever heard of it.  That was a little odd because a lot of local old people know local history.   It’s also odd to me that a farm town as small as Waukee was would produce something like this.  

• Like 2

With respect to blade orientation:

Regardless of which direction the air was designed to move, (Some say that they were designed to blow air across the mechanism…..debatable) the pictorial advertising that shows up regularly, displays the blades with the hub on the motor side.   I assume that the motor doesn’t have a preference as to which way the blades spin.   So……if you are inclined to believe that the air from the blades is to move in the direction of the mechanism or the opposite, simply spin the blades in the direction that fits your beliefs.  However, the advertising shows the hub on the motor side of the blades.

3 hours ago, John Trier said:

I live 10 minutes from Waukee.  It’s one of the fastest growing communities in Iowa.  My mother in law graduated from Waukee in 1946 in a class of only 12 students.  Now they just built a new school which divided the district into Waukee North which now competes with Waukee south.  I bought one of these fans 20 years ago at a local auction.  I’ve  mentioned this fan around Waukee old timers every chance I get and no one has ever heard of it.  That was a little odd because a lot of local old people know local history.   It’s also odd to me that a farm town as small as Waukee was would produce something like this.  

It has been asserted that a business in Waukee simply imported them and took orders and distributed them from Waukee.

5 hours ago, Ron Wallace said:

It has been asserted that a business in Waukee simply imported them and took orders and distributed them from Waukee.

I think I may have heard that too.   It would make sense to me.   Waukee is now connected to Des Moines but in my lifetime it was very rural and very small.  My mother-in-law lived very close to this Waukee landmark.  One of the oldest cemeteries in the area, right in the middle of a two intersecting roads.   Less than a year ago this cemetery served as a unique round about but has now been bypassed by a few hundred feet.  The land here is now worth millions as it is in close proximity to a giant mall and commercial buildings.  Waukee is an ugly town.  Flat as flat can be and now just cracker box houses as far as the eye can see.   Apple computer is moving a big operation here because it is so flat and easy interstate access.  

The history behind the New Thermal I bought was good.   It came from a farmer at a farm auction who had passed away.   He obviously collected things as a hobby.   The auction attracted Loyd Davis who walked into the auction house minutes before it started.  Bad news for me.   So it's Loyd and I and maybe other local fan collectors (can't remember).   There was a large Perrett's motor there that Loyd really wanted and got.  I bought the New Thermal (both the Perrett motor and New Thermal were both in remarkably pristine condition).   I didn't own it for more than a couple of years and sold it to buy something else.   The ebay buyer was thrilled to get it and drove all the way from Oshkosh Wisconsin to pick it up. 

B6BE0EEF-AFB7-46A4-9A6C-7724A9F3179B.png

Good story John, back when auctions weren't nationwide and every person in the place wasn't looking items up on their phone. My wife and I visited a collector couple from an Indiana city recently. They really loved their town and had a remarkable collection. They knew every piece frontwards and backwards, when it was bought and where and how it fit locally. True collectors.  I bought a couple of fans from them that were locally made.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ron Wallace said:

I see the Thermo Engine Co. of Chicago hot air motor example motor first in 13. Your exclusive fan example from Waukee, IA. heavily advertised in 14 second. After 14 it is like they vanish off the face of the earth in the books. I will contact Brent Rowell to see if he knows more about these devices. 

A Thermo Engine Co. incorporated out on the east coast in 13.

12 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I see the Thermo Engine Co. of Chicago hot air motor example motor first in 13. Your exclusive fan example from Waukee, IA. heavily advertised in 14 second. After 14 it is like they vanish off the face of the earth in the books. I will contact Brent Rowell to see if he knows more about these devices. 

My Waukee reference was simply stolen from the “Antique Fan Parts” web site. He has one for sale.

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Brent's response..........

Hi Russ,

Good to hear from you. All good here. I’m very familiar with their fans and toy motors but it’s been a very difficult company to get a handle on. First take a look at one of my videos starting at the 1:18 minute mark to 2:40:

https://youtu.be/MO7lW-la7Bs

You can see one of the Thermo toys at 6:00 min.

Those 4 air-cooled engines are mine and the third one is by the same obscure Thermo Engine Co. It’s the only one known and have never found any ad showing anything other than the small toys (and fans), although I did find a newspaper ad describing their larger “farm engine”. I have researched deeply the other companies among those 4 and all but the twin Thermo have direct ties to German immigrant Louis Kessler who lived in Des Moines, Iowa for a while (but earlier than the fans) and then Chicago where he made his final home. One of my engines came from his next-door neighbor. I’ve even obtained the incorporation papers for all those companies, including Thermo, and Kessler appears in all of them EXCEPT Thermo which was inorporated in Delaware (for the usual tax purposes). But the twin engine uses many of the same parts as the Kessler singles, so there’s definitely a physical connection if nothing (so far) on paper. These engines are basically air-cooled and less refined copies of German Heinrici engines which Kessler must have known from Germany.

Anyway, I believe Kessler was also behind the fans although I’ve found no proof whatsoever. Even checked with the historical society that covers Waukee, IA and they have nothing on the company or Kessler. (fans were also called Waukee fans). The reasons for my thinking are this 1) they’re usually missing, but some of the fans have stickers on the top cover that have exactly the same Thermo logo as on my twin engine and the toys—see the attached photo where I’ve Photoshoped in a fan label just below the toy Thermo engine plate. 2) the “Waukee” fans, when you examine them, are cruder, less refined versions of similar fans that were made by Draeger and others in Germany around the same time—I suspect Kessler was copying them as well and that they are definitely US-made, not imported. But again, there’s no direct proof so far of Kessler’s involvement with the fans nor Thermo Engine Co.. Maybe you can find something. I doubt if they were made for long after the start of WW1 and you can see the 1914 date cast in my twin engine base.

Why Waukee? I have no clear idea. Did Kessler set up a workshop there to make them? Shipping point related to the railroads?

Thermo fan and engine labels.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Does anyone have a copy of this Thermo Fan Advertisement that is readable? 

Great find Ron as those hot air fans are rare. 

OOPS - never mind ........ found that ad which is readable in one of those above links posted by Russ.

Thermo Fan Information.jpg

Edited by Terry Fisher

4 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I forgot to post the image Brent sent me seen above. Notice Waukee, IA., not Chicago agency.

This is all very interesting.  The paper label makes me wonder if they were made in Waukee?    A special guy in a machine shed could easily do it.  I’ve seen this sort of thing happen about 10 years ago.  A brilliant farmer didn’t like John Deere planters so he made his own.  Then for a few friends, then partnered with Deere.  They sold them and he made them.   Ultimately the biggest best planters in the world, 120 rows shipped all over the world.  Custom all the way, various sizes, designed for various crops.  They went to Brazil, China, all over everywhere.  He went from making about 6 per year to 3 per day.   Bauer built in Paton Iowa.  Very rare story today but why not these fans in little Waukee?  Louis Kessler may have done this during his time in Des Moines. There are farmers named Kessler relatively close in Afton Iowa just south of Waukee.  (We used to pheasant hunt on their farms in the late 60’s)

11 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Brent also informed me he has documentation to support the Lake Breeze fan patent holder Lloyd D. Freeland as PRESIDENT of the THERMO ENGINE CO.  

1498413140723881476-01265189 (storage.googleapis.com)

US1265189-drawings-page-1.png

Cross Country: Tanks for the memories -- Portage firm well known in ag circles | Business | captimes.com

1498393932642585553-01061062 (storage.googleapis.com)

US1061062-drawings-page-1.png

s-l1600.jpg

144330457_10158675803910973_453810738767772473_n.jpg

content (4).v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

It appears Lloyd Freeland took advantage of the opportunity to market hot air fan motors to those who were off the grid. The introduction of the farm plant generators was a significant start of rain on his parade. 

Edited by Russ Huber

I am going to be in the state law library this week actually working for once. I will see if I can find any reference materials to the business. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

On 11/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, Ron Wallace said:

D3359362-951B-4C5A-BD33-6520092A51BD.png

Hard to tell,

but is there some sort of center bullet shape nose cone on the cage??

Seems to be missing from fan VS. what is shown in ad image above.

Did these have the ability to add perfume / scent like on highest end luxury fans?

8 minutes ago, Bejon A. Boranian said:

Hard to tell,

but is there some sort of center bullet shape nose cone on the cage??

Seems to be missing from fan VS. what is shown in ad image above.

Did these have the ability to add perfume / scent like on highest end luxury fans?

I believe that you are correct, it is missing a cage badge or cone.   I don’t believe this one dispensed perfume.