Emerson 27xxx and 29xxx - Rear Shaft Nut - Questions

Tim Calvin

I have a few questions regarding the brass rear shaft nut of Emerson fans, specifically the 29646 and 29668. 

Upon inspection of the oscillating components, I noticed that the head of the brass nut has been sheared off of both fans. This will be my first attempt at a restoration and I am a little unsure of what should be done here. Just leave it alone? Attempt to extract the threads out of the shaft and replace with something else? 

Additionally, I have a 27666 where the brass nut has been removed but wont thread back on to the shaft. Does anyone know the thread size of the rear shaft? It doesn't seem to be anything common. I think I may need to chase the threads of the brass nut as it looks like it might need it. 

(5) Facebook - Brave 2022-11-18 12.49.22.png

I believe that you can leave this as-is. The worm shaft will support the head of the bushing and the fan operation will not be affected. 

I can’t remember, but this might be reverse threads. Maybe someone tried to remove it the wrong way. 

I'll keep my out for a parts fan or parts housing in the future. For now I will leave them the way they are since the threaded part of the nut keeps movement of the worm shaft to a minimum. If I find a replacement, I will use a screw extractor to remove the threads and replace. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tim Calvin said:

I have a 27666 where the brass nut has been removed but wont thread back on to the shaft. 

Were you turning the brass shaft guide the wrong direction? Is this why it wouldn't thread in? just curious if the threads are damaged or not.

What I was driving at is if your threads are good (which they probably are) there is a 90%+ chance I can send you the thread in brass rod guides you need for free or peanuts. 

Being Lane jumped in first, maybe he will help you out for free or peanuts? That would be nice of him. 

On 11/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, Russ Huber said:

Were you turning the brass shaft guide the wrong direction? Is this why it wouldn't thread in? just curious if the threads are damaged or not.

Yeah I was just being dumb. I was turning it in the wrong direction. I did not remember it being reverse threaded when I took it apart but must have forgot. It threaded right in. I have tracked down one replacement nut and still seeking one more. I got these fans from different places and at different times so different people made the same mistake. I will attempt to extract the threads from both fans using a screw extractor with a tapered flute design that works with both RH and LF screws. That part is in the mail. 

On 11/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, Lane Shirey said:

I might have a housing with nut. What’s it from?

The nut is broken on both my 29646 and 29668. The 27666 nut fits the worm rod and threads on both of those so I suspect any brass nut of the 27xxx and 29xxx series should work. I have tracked down replacement nut and still seeking one more. 

18 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

How often are you being dumb? Just once in a while?

You weren't being dumb, you just weren't used to left hand threads. You can back that broken off piece of brass still threaded into the housing with a left-hand screw extractor.  Do you want to try and get it out?

Edited by Russ Huber

6 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

How often are you being dumb? Just once in a while?

I would say that is fair. lol. This first fan will be a learning experience for sure. The first major hurdle I encountered on the 27666 was the ceramic switch base was broken into two pieces. I got that cleaned up & re-assembled it using PC-Clear Epoxy. I am going through the process of putting all the parts through Electrolysis to remove paint & rust right now. I'll probably start on the electrical stuff next. Need to re-solder the starting coil back onto the switch base along with everything else. Trying to take it slow and read the forum for tips and expertise as I go along. 

4 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

You weren't being dumb, you just weren't used to left hand threads. You can back that broken off piece of brass still threaded into the housing with a left-hand screw extractor.  Do you want to try and get it out?

Yes I am plan to get them out of both fans as I want to replace them both. For that I am waiting on a drill bit designed for that purpose. 

Do try to get them out as your worm gear on the rod that drives the gearbox rides on that brass nut. There is a fiber washer between the worm and brass nut.

If you need something post here if you can't message me.

1112329200_(5)Facebook-Brave2022-11-1812_49_22.png.b84628ddce8d280557ea55dd0f62bd8b.png.2cbe5b90945e8eddf24306340ec62810.png