My fist Mysto

Louis Luu

Nice fan. You talk to 50 collectors and half will say never made that way and the other half will say they were. Regardless, looks very nice. If they weren't made they should have been. I have one myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Rathberger said:

You talk to 50 collectors and half will say never made that way and the other half will say they were.

For the doubting Thomas other 50, they were made that way. I hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

For the doubting Thomas other 50, they were made that way. I hope this helps. 

You used to view it differently if I remember. What converted you?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

You used to view it differently if I remember. What converted you?

You must have me confused with another Russ Huber. Slipping over 60 years of age is not only an adventure, it can slip a few clogs.

17 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

You must have me confused with another Russ Huber. Slipping over 60 years of age is not only an adventure, it can slip a few clogs.

This is you Russ. From 2012 when I posted mine.

chrome_screenshot_1668945636618.png

I purchased this (via check) Paid more than asking, and the "lady" sold to to some one else, she did return my check (after a few weeks) - - so the search continues, I do have a year one Cub

MYSTO side.jpg

MYSTO Front.jpg

MYSTO Badge.jpg

MYSTO Gilbert Factory.png

MYSTO Tag.jpg

Mysto Polar Cub Type NULL.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Michael Rathberger said:

Nice fan. You talk to 50 collectors and half will say never made that way and the other half will say they were. Regardless, looks very nice. If they weren't made they should have been. I have one myself.

OK...i’m going to guess it was not made that way.. but what do I know!

033E56E5-BCE8-4B1D-B2EA-C3CFE1F16162.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only reason I responded indecisive as to the Mysto mottled copper finish was the inability to validate it in the books. However, the mottled copper process is not a walk in the park procedure, and a potentially dangerous process at that it appears with the use of cyanide as described in my post above. Darryl Hudson was adamant he had one passed on to the late Kirke West. I bought a fan from Kirke West years ago, Kirke was into different fans that stood out from the crowd and had good taste in doing so. I respected Kirke.

Darryll appears to have had a serious appetite from the cubs at one time seen in his image. I would say the chances of the mottled finish from the factory would be in a high percentage.

image.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 3

Kirke was indeed a unique collector. I have a little 6" nickel plated Pittsburgh from him somewhere. I also managed to just pip him on the little bakelite Ericson I have. Truly a good collector and fun guy 

4 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Kirke was indeed a unique collector. I have a little 6" nickel plated Pittsburgh from him somewhere. I also managed to just pip him on the little bakelite Ericson I have. Truly a good collector and fun guy 

Kirke questioned to some degree the unusual black enamel on this Signal Cool Spot of his when he sent it to me.  I didn't after I carefully examined it when I received it. I could resist removing some of the enamel to expose her brass components.

SignalCS2.jpg

SignalCS1.jpg

SignalCS3.jpg

• Like 2

For the last 10 years I've periodically looked at the ads for cubs on ebay hoping to get validation of the mottled finish. I've never found it. I just accept it as is. Dr. Hoene  refused to believe they came that way. Mine was found on eBay. I wasn't serious about getting it and tossed in a low bid and no one else bid. So, when I do sell it it'll be sold as unconfirmed.