Daniel OToole

I like the side and rear view of my 2010 since I think that the 6 wing blade covers up the interesting looks of the front of the motor.   Cords and feet are new, the rest is all original.

CIMG3702.JPG

CIMG3712.JPG

CIMG3710.JPG

CIMG3711.JPG

CIMG3706.JPG

CIMG3707.JPG

• Like 4

There is a story to my Emerson 2010.  Vert early in my collecting and right after joining the AFCA I saw it on ebay along with a 12666 in similar condition and I wanted one of them.   I wanted both but could only afford one.   The 12666 finished first at a very high price and I was outbid by a pair of people on that one.  Just FIVE MINUTES later the 2010 would end so I had to set myself up quickly on ebay to try to win it.   Well, I was the high bidder but soon after the auction ended I started to see comments on the fan forum about it and the 12666 that led me to think I may never get the 2010.

A club member was putting a handful of very nice original fans on ebay because the owner did not have internet.  From the ebay photos a few club members knew the owner, Warren Kernel, a nice old man and AFCA member who had an electric shop in a rough part of St. Louis.   There were some very questionable tactics from the man selling the fans for Warren and I thought, from comments on the forum, that I might never see the fan.  I did get it just fine and the selling agent was booted from the AFCA.   If you ever had a chance to visit South Side Electric to meet Warren and his trove of old and very nice fans it was a pleasure.   Warren even gifted me a good working Powerstat variac which I have used for a long time as a necessary tool for fan collecting.  Sadly Warren passed on some years ago but I am glad to have met him.   I don't know the story of my 2010 but it appears that Warren had replaced the power and head wires and rubber feet.

Bill Hoehn, another recenty deceased club member, was a friend of Warrens and would spend much time in Warren's shop working on fans with Warren, restoring some.  In their time both must have seen a lot of old Emersons in very good condition like my 2010.   Bill had a huge collection of just about all the old Emerson models and some I have not seen elsewhere.

Looking back I see that this 2010 was the first fan in my collection which, to that time- 2001- consisted of about 7-8 BB and SC fans I had bought around 1970. It was also my first ebay fan and well above the prices I had paid prior to it.

Edited by Steve Stephens
  • Like 2

Thank you Mel.    I don't know how my 2010 had been protected but it would be interesting to know its story.    I find that the view of the back of the fan is more interesting than the front due to the 6 wing blade "blocking' the cast iron of the motor.   If I could find more fans in the same condition it would make me happy.

If I could find more fans in the same condition it would make me happy. I wish all my fans were in that condition when found. It takes a lot of time and hard work in most cases.

• Like 1