Another addition to the AFC Museum

Kim Frank

I don't know how many furniture lovers we have in the AFCA but here's a cabinet you might appreciate. Back in early October, I was checking out Craigslist and saw this piece of furniture that caught my eye. I thought about it for a while and then passed as my wife has put a moratorium on my bringing home any more furnishings. About a month later, this piece was still on CL so I inquired if it was still available. The owner replied that it was, so I talked to my boss here at work and showed him the piece. I mentioned that I was going to purchase it and wanted to put it in the museum. I said that we could put fans in it and he said that was fine. The next day I grabbed my son and another person and went over to check it out. Other than a few nicks and scratches it was in remarkable shape for a thirty year old cabinet. I had to ask why he wanted to get rid of such a nice piece of furniture and he said it had belonged to his ex-wife. She had moved out a few years earlier and said she didn't want it anymore. He said he was tired of it taking up so much room and wanted it gone. He also said that while he had received a couple of inquiries, no one was serious about taking it until I showed up. I felt his asking price was ridiculous but I paid it anyhow. Then I thought about it and I doubled it.  We went to work and disassembled the top from the lower cabinets and then loaded the three heavy pieces into the truck. Once back at the museum, we chose a spot and reassembled it. After getting it leveled, I cleaned it up a bit and did some touchup on the spots needing it. It now holds fans that are for sale to visitors. Say hello to the newest addition to the Museum. Best $200 I've ever spent....It's from The John Widdicombe Furniture Co. of Grand Rapids and was part of their 'Russian Collection'. My wife came over to see it and said it looks nice right where it is.....Now if I can only figure out how to get it home someday.

IMG_1689 (1).JPG

IMG_1690 (1).JPG

IMG_1691 (1).JPG

IMG_1693 (1).JPG

IMG_1694 (1).JPG

IMG_1696 (1).JPG

IMG_1686 (1).JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jim Henderson said:

Be careful! Bringing a piece of furniture that large home can lead to ex- spouses as witnessed by previous owner. Better stick to fans.😉

I've always had an affinity for old furniture, especially if it was wood and metal combined. My wife tolerates a lot of stuff I drag home, but does draw the line at monster pieces and she is very happy that this piece, along with my fan collection, resides in the museum.

2 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

My wife tolerates a lot of stuff I drag home, but does draw the line at...

Be careful Kim or she'll dump you, just as your first wife (trophy?) did.

1916001356_MySaves.jpeg.f3763f5635d30f607af861413e9b41cc.jpeg

• Like 1

My first wife was always complaining about how I had too much stuff laying around and that I needed to get rid of something......I missed her for the first week or so....

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

...needed to get rid of something......I missed her for the first week or so....

Thumbup.gif.95ff1210f9ba5e54d9072d42a8a57bce.gif Yeah?,...   Thumbup.gif.95ff1210f9ba5e54d9072d42a8a57bce.gif Right?,...
Reality check...
She dumped you!

Edited by Jim Kovar