Roller coaster fan

Gary Bales

Still getting used to posting so I apologize that it's all broken up into different posts.  the fan seems to work fine, but other than that I don't k ow much about it

You have a very nice hard to find fan.  Your grandfather left you a treasure to display proudly in your home. Rollercoaster is a fan collector slang term. The fan was known as the Storm Wave fan. It was made in Logansport starting 1918 circa. It's origin of manufacture started small in Chicago 1914-15, and the fan evolved with many patents filed over but a few years.

• Thanks 1

That's super cool and thx...I'm still trying to get a feel for how it works (I didn't even know collecting fans was a thing yesterday)...I figured out that the knobs on the side when adjusted make it go up and down...I just don't know enough to feel comfortable tinkering with it to make it go side to side lol

There are few known. Your fan can be made to rotate 360 degrees on a level plane. Or it can go vertically up and down. Option three is it rotates 360 degrees up and down.

I would post more information for you, but I have to literally clear my browser every time I post, even on the same post. Sorry. 

Here is a pristine AC model I found in Sacramento through a Minnesota contact. I gave it over to Rick Hill who lives but an hour away from it and didn't have a clue. : ) The pictures are from the seller sent to me prior to me calling Rick.  The guy didn't ask stupid money for it either. You just never know where some of the relics will pop up.

http://www.afcaforum.com/attachment.php?id=56201

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

Rollercoaster.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

I appreciate the Info u shared cause it's way more help than Google has been...yeah I should probably wipe the dust off, but I'm sure it's not as clean as that one.  I've kinda went down the old fan rabbit hole for the past 2 hrs and it's definitely interesting 

Your fan looks to be a fine example. Yours stands out from the others being you have nickel plate on your blade and trimmings. Being it is a designated DC model makes it interesting as well.  If your Grandfather owned it, and the memory of him sits well with you, shame on you if you sell it.  You need to get a full wave bridge rectifier to run the fan off of AC wall current. The rectifier converts AC wall current to DC current.  It is cheap and easy to install by one who knows how. Enjoy your toy.

I agree with Russ.  I think it's worth keeping.

Just promise yourself you'll sell the next fan you see. Whatever it is. You can always sell that one.

My .02.

What Russ said above.  The silver means it's nickel-plated, which means nickel-plated brass. The antique gold appearance is just brass that's aged without nickel plating.  Hold a magnet up to the blade.  If it's brass, the magnet won't stick to it.  If the magnet sticks, it's not brass and may possibly be steel.  

6 minutes ago, Garybales said:

Was there a difference in the gold looking blades vs the silver? 

Nickel plating is simply a preference and enhancement. Use a magnet to you blade, guard supports, and blade guard.  My guess is the magnet will stick to the guard and guard supports, and not stick to your blade. If so, the blade is brass under the plating and guard and guard supports are steel.

Hahs... doesn't seem like the odds of running Into the next one are very good, but the value is still the same to me as it was yesterday when it was just my grandpa's heavy little weird fan lol...and if I'm gonna have a collection of just one fan then it seems like I decent one anyways

I've decided to go ahead and look Into selling this fan...its super cool but fan collecting really isn't something I can see myself doing (I've inherited literally a full house full of sentimental items that have more value to me personally) I guess we all have different interests and in my world the truth is that it's just a fan I found in the garage that I Googled cause it looked old.... that being said, if anybody is interested then just message me a f I'm sure we can work something out.  Bales1823@gmail.com