What's on your workbench today? Share some pics!

Ron May

Nice plating

Big reveal at ff.....a  Flamptray possibly?

Edited by Jim Roadt
spelling

42 minutes ago, Jim Roadt said:

Nice plating

Big reveal at ff.....a  Flamptray possibly?

Dang it Jim! Way to spoil the surprise 🤦

Terminal blocks. 7 holes, 5 tapped, custom screws for the connection hold downs. Make a screw sometime, you'll never complain about the cost of one again...

IMG_20230719_153143959_HDR.jpg

Edited by Michael Rathberger
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, Arjun Saini said:

Working on this IMG_4722.thumb.jpeg.a2422eabc59527ac477e18d13517cd83.jpeg

That feathervane will be a labor of love. It will be wonderful when finished, but may take a while to find/fabricate the parts from other members. I'd start with the feather if you don't have it.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, Paul Michael said:

I'd don't normally work on fans when the weather's above freezing, as I have endless farm and outdoor work. But while I have at best a couple hours a day enough strength to be up and about right now (Lyme Disease got me good), I'm working on 'little' projects as I have the energy, to keep my mind occupied. But I'm mostly resting. 😬

Here's this morning's fun. I was prepared to put a torch to it as there were two screws that weren't going to budge, and the head on one was already stripped. But after they been soaking and occasionally tapped for a week or so, they went.

This is how I like to find 'em: barn fresh and crusty!I love the old 'farm repair' wood wedge on the ball-tensioner. I suspect, after I rechrome it, it'll work, especially if I cut a slightly larger inset steel crescent 'tooth' for the clamp.

IMG_5489.jpeg

IMG_5490.jpeg

IMG_5491.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg

IMG_5495.jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5497.jpeg

They weren't chromed, but nickeled ... if that's a DC Eck.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Whitfield said:

They weren't chromed, but nickeled ... if that's a DC Eck.

Well, it is indeed an AC Eck, with the earlier (last patent date of 1910) BLUE Tag . . . 😉
So I'm ok with chrome?

51 minutes ago, David Kilnapp said:

That's marvelous work, Tony!

There's no reference by or to Tony on this, PAGE 8! of this long thread (that I can easily find...)..

PSA -  (USE the QUOTE BUTTON!) (-;

17 hours ago, Paul Michael said:

There's no reference by or to Tony on this, PAGE 8! of this long thread (that I can easily find...)..

PSA -  (USE the QUOTE BUTTON!) (-;

Sorry about that Paul. I was looking at the picture of the brown wiring that appears somewhere in this thread. My bad!

3 hours ago, David Kilnapp said:

Sorry about that Paul. I was looking at the picture of the brown wiring that appears somewhere in this thread. My bad!

David-that was into way a personal attack, I'm jus pointing out what may not be obvious to all users. There seems to be no 'internal' thread reply possible on this forum, only the 'quote' function when one wants to reply to anything other than the most recent item.  As this thread is 8 pages, the 'Quote' option is the only way to actually direct a reply to the particulate post, although one could use the '@" symbol to alert (or only tag?) the original author, @David Kilnapp. Definitely a disadvantage to having long threads!

Edited by Paul Michael

5 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

Hey Russ, Why do you paint your rotors?

Because you can get a glimpse of them through the vent holes in many cases.  I cold blued this 16" cake rotor after wire wheeling it clean. I then masked and painted the solder joints copper. I then sprayed it with insulating varnish to seal it. There is metal on a rotor that will oxidize (rust) if left to open air. 

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.1856d4b314420f3fa416d642f8c257cd.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Because you can get a glimpse of them through the vent holes in many cases.  I cold blued this 16" cake rotor after wire wheeling it clean. I then masked and painted the solder joints copper. I then sprayed it with insulating varnish to seal it. There is metal on a rotor that will oxidize (rust) if left to open air. 

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.1856d4b314420f3fa416d642f8c257cd.jpg

Yeah, I saw that, and the other one, that is why I asked. Getting a glimpse makes me want to insulate the windings on an S-3 skeletal with red varnish. Just kidding. Sort of.

28 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Can you see the rotor? 🙂

P1530799.JPG

Wait, wait, let me squint my eyes, why yes, I think that I do spy with my little eye, a rotor in there. Well I'll be dipped.

Russ, that is some beautiful pinstripe work on the Emmy! I can tell it's hand done. You holding out on us? You do your own pinstripe work as well? 

33 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

Russ, that is some beautiful pinstripe work on the Emmy! I can tell it's hand done. You holding out on us? You do your own pinstripe work as well? 

I have local friends and connections with different skills and talents. The motif and stripes were done by a long-time sign artist friend. I will share with him your kind compliment.  He did the work on the 05 cake above, and a number of other fans here and gone. I just tell him what to do and what I want. He does the rest with his camel hair paint brush and steady hand. 

IMG_4293.thumb.JPG.d2555e482c0abcfc3916eaf750b5fa13.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 3