What's on your workbench today? Share some pics!

Ron May

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

I have local friends and connections with different skills and talents. The motif and stripes were done by a long-time sign artist friend. I will share with him your kind compliment.  He did the work on the 05 cake above, and a number of other fans here and gone. I just tell him what to do and what I want. He does the rest with his camel hair paint brush and steady hand. 

IMG_4293.thumb.JPG.d2555e482c0abcfc3916eaf750b5fa13.jpg

One shot paint?

2 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

One shot paint?

The AB/Jandus was done in Super Root Beer powder coat. The Emerson was done in Gloss Black powder coat. 

The Super Root Bear finish cannot be fully appreciated unless you see it in person in the light. Any polished brass hardware or trimmings make it pop. I just polish out the motor tags with Super Root Bear, no need for background. I kind of like that. I restored the Emerson tag and it was a royal pain. Some of those long Emerson tags have very little raised areas. I use a magnifying light and sharp exact-o. One small slip and you can end up doing it all over again.

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

The AB/Jandus was done in Super Root Beer powder coat. The Emerson was done in Gloss Black powder coat. 

The Super Root Bear finish cannot be fully appreciated unless you see it in person in the light. Any polished brass hardware or trimmings make it pop. I just polish out the motor tags with Super Root Bear, no need for background. I kind of like that. I restored the Emerson tag and it was a royal pain. Some of those long Emerson tags have very little raised areas. I use a magnifying light and sharp exact-o. One small slip and you can end up doing it all over again.

Sorry, was asking about pinstriping paint. One shot is predominantly used by sign painters, was curious if that's what your buddy was using for pinstriping...

10 minutes ago, Roger Borg said:

Sorry, was asking about pinstriping paint. One shot is predominantly used by sign painters, was curious if that's what your buddy was using for pinstriping...

I am not 100% on this, but I think you're on target, Roger. I put in "one shot paint" into the Google search engine and hit images. I think those are the cans he has at his shop. I know they are quality hardy paints. 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

That turned out beautiful Russ!

Thanks, Patrick, but there are some things on it that I am not happy with. I restored the tag and it displays itself decently. But, the typical raised areas for most part were near flush with the tag surface. I had to do touch ups on it despite using a magnifying light and sharp ex-acto knife. You can only start over so many times on a tag. 

These 16" animals can be tamed down reasonably by dropping the factory voltage down from 110 to 100-105 volts with a variable transformer. A 110 volt 16" fan on household 120 VAC cuts down on the coil speed variation. I have it running on low speed on 100 VAC and it purrs like a kitten. 🙂 I got lucky as it is a mechanically sound machine.

Edited by Russ Huber

Been running around getting stuff going. Rewired a 12 inch quietblade then tried to do the vortalex which I tore apart needs a whole resto badly and the 8 inch is a PITA can’t get the stator out for a headwire then the mobilaire needs a new switch and that’s really it

IMG_7470.jpeg

71415116698__C24E48E7-B142-44A8-AFC1-08B2D123EACF.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5477.jpeg

IMG_5393.jpeg