Emerson Catalogues 97 and 98.

Russ Huber

• Russ Huber changed the title to Emerson Catalogues 97 and 98.

The 96 and 97 Emerson fan motor catalogues clearly differentiate the brushed Meston from the brushless induction back lever which is the departure of Alexander Meston's patented desk fan solely on the market 92-94. The 98 Emerson catalogue makes no mention of the word Meston. You will find electrical trade in 98 does connect the retired Meston name here and there with the 98 porcelain switch models. Only because the Meston name and fan motor remained on the market 92-97. Good luck finding "Meston" connected to any of the 99+ Emerson models in electrical trade.

Meston 1898.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

With little doubt someone at Emerson designed that brushless back lever on the drafting board in 94 for the 95 season. Who?  Charles was a pencil pusher 1890 right up to his engineer brother's death spring of 93. Pillsbury or Briner....it has to be.

There are three 19th century Emerson catalogues provided for viewing on the old website, 92, 96, and 98. I have never seen the 97 in full view. Bill Hoehn sent me copies of the Emerson 92 catalogue. That was another gray area he and I were bumping skulls back then. The 92 Emerson catalogue supported the 91-introduction cone base desk fan being offered for the 92 season. 92 electrical trade to the best of my knowledge to date shows no support for the cone base Meston being on the market, and super support for the tripod Meston.

The 96 Westinghouse catalogue images of their dual speed Tesla are the same as the 97 Westinghouse catalogue dual speed images. The years to follow of changes to the dual speed Westinghouse fan motor in images and description in electrical trade offer very little, if nothing at all. Sifting through these documents trying to validate changes in some cases can be most challenging to say the least.  In a nutshell, early fan motor catalogues are not biblical, but putting the pieces of the puzzle together using documentation and logic can get you closer to the truth. 🙂

14 hours ago, Jim Henderson said:

Kim Frank has excellent reproductions of this catalog for $10 I believe.

Very nice high quality
reprints done a while
back by Jim Daggs.

Lots of great info!

• Like 1