Pancake collectors....Need your help

Kim Frank

Need a bit of help. If you have a GE pancake years 1903 - 1906, could you check the trunnion and see if it has a casting number on it. If it does, message me with the info. Thanks, Kim

Pancake trunnion.jpg

Hi, Kim.

At first glance,...

Screenshot_20221208-144240_Chrome.thumb.jpg.54c7f5c2022e62edf35e4d44dadcfcfb.jpg

I thought that was a plea
for psychiatric help.

Screenshot_20221208-152712_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3b22b0e5c83a38687a6f6e31af5b4419.jpg

crazy-people.jpg.d3c413ed1484d24c40d86dcac01e4584.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

36 minutes ago, Mike Aidinovich said:

I have a 1905 with the trunnion numbered "262405 A".  Kim - Any significance with the trunnion based on the casting number?

What is the diameter of your trunnion post? 

My 1905 has a trunnion number. I thought it odd especially considering that due to the set screw that prevents 360 rotation, the trunnion number has to go on the front.

652078B3-5A38-4810-BC64-2CE0422E77CD.jpeg

Jim, there is no help for any of us. We are hopelessly addicted to fan collecting.... The only fix is the "next fan".

Mike, we're trying to determine the significance of the trunnion having a number and if it relates to it having a stem diameter 7/8" instead of 3/4" or 5/8ths.  Steve Stephens also has a 1905 with a number cast into it. I asked him to check it's measurement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Hollenbeck said:

My 1905 has a trunnion number. I thought it odd especially considering that due to the set screw that prevents 360 rotation, the trunnion number has to go on the front.

What side of the stem is the raised portion that stops the set screw from 360 rotation? Is it on the number side as in the photo Kim posted? 

12 minutes ago, Trevor Andersen said:

What side of the stem is the raised portion that stops the set screw from 360 rotation? Is it on the number side as in the photo Kim posted? 

Unfortunately it’s on the opposite side of the numbers.

2 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

Jim, there is no help for any of us. We are hopelessly addicted to fan collecting.... The only fix is the "next fan".

Acquisition Addiction .........  The thrill of the hunt !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Humphrey said:

Kim, I have a 1905 with trunnion casting number 264405A.  Jim

What is the diameter of the trunnion stem if you are able to check? Also can anyone else that has a casting number check if the raised portion on the stem that stops the set screw from rotating 360° is on the casting numbered side or not. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

At some point in 1905 GE changed the stem size from 5/8" to 3/4". The trunnion style carried over into 1906 first variant fans. Jim, can you recheck the number on your trunnion, just to make sure the number is 264405A and not 262405A. Not sure why a few have numbers as most don't and why Trevor's trunnion stem is 7/8" instead of 3/4" like the others. Goes back to what I always say about GE.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

Acquisition Addiction ...

The thrill of the hunt !!!

Amen!,...
  I hear ya!,
    brother.

Kim, I rechecked the scrap of paper I brought up from the basement when I first checked the casting number on the trunnion.  It says 262405A.  Somehow it turned into a 264405A when I typed it into my first response.  My eyes were better than my brain.

Don’t worry Jim, that’s not a big problem.

I’m dyslexic.  It’s the reason my fan turns the wrong way and runs backwards.   I also short stuff out a lot…..🤓

At the moment I have two choices. 1. Someone happens to have a pancake base with a 7/8in hole I can get. 2. I bore the 3/4in hole in my 1905 base out to 7/8. The easiest is to probably sand down the wall adapter stem to 3/4 but given it appears far more rare than the 1905 bases I don't want to go that route. The bore widening is going to be a task as I don't have a drill press for a 7/8 metal cutting bit. I'll probably find someone around here that will let me use theirs though. 

Also I think this is just a fluke piece maybe? After I measured again it is between 3/4 and 7/8. 20mm on the trunnion stem and the adapter stem is 19.5ish neither would fit in the 3/4 hole. 

6 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

Don’t worry Jim, that’s not a big problem.

I’m dyslexic.  It’s the reason my fan turns the wrong way and runs backwards.   I also short stuff out a lot…..🤓

John I think I have the same thing! Symptoms are the same.🙃

Trevor, I would venture that yours is unusual. The responses I have gotten from the few collectors whose 1905 cakes having the numbers in the trunnions is they have stems that are 3/4 inch in diameter.

• Like 1