Martinot AC or DC

Anthony Lindsey

I have this Martinot 12" stationary.   Tag says "Courant Alternatif" 220V with no designation for cycles.  TpM box shows 1600 but not sure what that relates too.

On 220V AC using a converter the fan runs 3 different speeds and very fast on high.   It also gets really warm, up in the 130's after running 30 minutes or so.

On 110DC it runs great with 3 speeds that fit each range and never hits 90 degrees.

I took it apart and varnished the stator as well as the speed coil.  It has the tower coil like most DC fans.

Just curious if anyone has similar experience etc.

20221007_215903.jpg

20221007_215823.jpg

20221007_215830.jpg

20221209_091734.heic

Edited by Anthony Lindsey
Change picture

Just now, Anthony Lindsey said:

I have this Martinot 12" stationary.   Tag says "Courant Alternatif" 220V with no designation for cycles.  TpM box shows 1600 but not sure what that relates too.

On 220V AC using a converter the fan runs 3 different speeds and very fast on high.   It also gets really warm, up in the 130's after running 30 minutes or so.

On 110DC it runs great with 3 speeds that fit each range and never hits 90 degrees.

I took it apart and varnished the stator as well as the speed coil.  It has the tower coil like most DC fans.

Just curious if anyone has similar experience etc.

20221007_215903.jpg

20221007_215823.jpg

20221007_215830.jpg

20221209_091734.heic 947.4 kB · 0 downloads

I believe Bill Dunlap posted this before with Jim Roadt Martinot oscillating fan.

I remember that.   I believe he settled on 65V dc I think.    I can't remember if his was 110 or 220 though.

If you have a Westy all brass run it at 50vdc. They're a dream. I mentioned running AC brush motors on lower voltage DC last year, didn't go over well. I have a brush motor AC r&m gear back oscillator, only one I've ever seen. Same thing, runs perfect on lower voltage DC. I cannot explain why.

I have noticed that with some of my Brushed AC fans.

The Martinot runs "correctly"   on 220V AC as far as speed.  It doesn't run slow as compared to the fan Bill had.   It runs hot though.    110 DC it's a dream.

1 hour ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

I have noticed that with some of my Brushed AC fans.

The Martinot runs "correctly"   on 220V AC as far as speed.  It doesn't run slow as compared to the fan Bill had.   It runs hot though.    110 DC it's a dream

Nice. Just what I told Sean last year. What's it like on line current or haven't you tried?

I had this 12" stationary Martinot years ago.  It ran very well although I don't remember if I ran it long enough to get warm.   Usually, when selling a fan I will run it for at least 20 minutes before shipping.   I don't remember if I had run this one on DC but did run on AC wall current but probably using my Variac.   The last photo is partially packed for shipping.  An excellent fan but the struts were a bit more flimsy than I would have liked.   All original finish.

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4824.JPG

The walking foot martinot I had.... Bill installed a rectifier and I ran it all day long at fanfair at 65 volts....stayed cool the entire day...I sort of miss that one

Edited by Jim Roadt
Spelling