Emerson Jr B stater shorted out, how hard to rewind it?

Tim Babcock

It was running fine, I don't know what happened. It arched a few times before I could get to the plug. Took the stater back out and it has a couple of lines melted. I don't know if I need to just source a new one or try to rewind it.

DSC08236.JPG

This is an Emerson 8 inch. I have an Emerson 10 inch that is all the same but for the stater and rotor which is a bit bigger but will fit my head. I believe the heads are the same. Any reason I can not change this out to be a 10 inch by changing the rotor and stater?

DSC08239.JPG.9acac2ee8f2115bf91282dcb9a9b20bc.JPGDSC08237.thumb.JPG.d5d9410ae9c6dc975cc82deee0d9ac7e.JPGHere is the 8 inch stater where I found the melted magnet wire. Two spots each on a different coil. Not sure why it burnt out, but I was checking Amp draw when she went. It was  pulling .98 amps. I think that is high for this fan. I put the 10 inch stater in and the 10 inch rotor and she is pulling .58 amps.

Edited by Tim Babcock

The B Juniors & the 2250s seemed to have more stator issues than any other Emerson. Evidently those had very weak insulation.

2 hours ago, Tim Babcock said:

I have an Emerson 10 inch that is all the same but for the stater and rotor which is a bit bigger but will fit my head. I believe the heads are the same. Any reason I can not change this out to be a 10 inch by changing the rotor and stater?

I am not sure about the swap, but it looks like your in order for plan B. If your hung up on the 8" thing, have a few of those 8" buggers that work. If you want to buy the whole fan contact me.

The head is the same, the stand is shorter on the 8. I have the head together and its pulling .55 amps. I don't know what these are supposed to draw. This was with no blade on it. I am just going to sell the fan for parts or put it in a box with some others. I will strip and repaint the  10 inch blade cage and base. The 10 gear box has the link and knob I need. The issue is someone broke off the slots for the screw. I have a set of easy outs and will try that first.