Wire gauges differences and effects

Aaron Gillette

In repairing a small 6 in fan ca. 1930, I note that the wires in the electromagnets are something like 28 AWG, yet certainly they connect to power cords plugged into walls, which so far as I know seem to be more like 10 AWG. It would seem to be that trying to send 120 volts through 28 gauge wire is a surefire way to start a fire. What am I missing here? In crude terms: How are the magnet wires correctly connected to the thicker wires that go to the on/off switch, which then go to the electrical plug?

The reason that the wire for the stator windings is a finer gauge is that coils are inductors in that they have a dc resistance which can be checked with a multimeter as well as an impedance (the resistance to flow of an ac voltage).  Impedance takes into consideration the frequency of the voltage source as well as the inductance of the coil.  The inductive part of the total resistance is usually a lot higher than the dc resistance.  Therefore, the current going through the coil is usually only a couple of amps for a smaller fan.  So a large power cord is not a danger, if the outlet is protected by the correct size of fuse/circuit breaker in the case of a major overload or short circuit.  Hope this helps.

Amperage draw is the ticket to wire gauge use.  The more amperage being drawn, the bigger the current draw.  A 16" GE cake can pull as much as 2+ amps.  What do you think a mighty mouse 6" blade Polar Cub will draw for amperage? Not much. Make sense now?