Looking for 60v step down

Chris Campbell

Not much looking on my own. Looking for a source to pick up a step down transformer from 110v to 60v-64v range.

Worst case could two 110v to 32v be configured to generate 64v?

What size fan?

Half wave single rectifier...  (maybe add a small capacitor if motor runs too rough.)

or:

Used control transformer (240 to 120)... feed  120 into the 240 side and get 60 on the 120 side.

Good luck

Edited by John McComas
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John McComas said:

half wave single rectifier...  (maybe add a small capacitor if motor runs too rough.)

Used control transformer (240 to 120) feed  120 into the 240 side and get 60 on the 120 side.

Good luck

Never thought of this. So 240 to 120 reversed will drop into 60?

In past I had 60 VDC 12" Jandus roundball. I was looking at one of these examples of a 60 VDC electric scooter chargers in the past to run it. I didn't have the fan long enough to get one. Couldn't one of these be made to work to operate the fan if the output coupler was modified to 2 line power? 

60 Volt 3.0 Amp 3-Prong Battery Charger (Standard) - Monster Scooter Parts

Edited by Russ Huber

5 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

In past I had 60 VDC 12" Jandus roundball. I was looking at one of these examples of a 60 VDC electric scooter chargers in the past to run it. I didn't have the fan long enough to get one. Couldn't one of these be made to work to operate the fan if the output coupler was modified to 2 line power? 

60 Volt 3.0 Amp 3-Prong Battery Charger (Standard) - Monster Scooter Parts

Some of the "smart" or switching type chargers may, or MAY NOT like being wired to a fan... 

The key phrase that bothers me is "automatic shutoff"  That implies charger has some smarts, and may not work if it doesn't see some residual battery voltage.

Don't get me wrong, I love the light weight and efficiency of switching supplies and chargers, but they might not work with old motors.  Sometimes old "brute force"

designs are needed.

"May the juice be with you!"

2 minutes ago, John McComas said:

Some of the "smart" or switching type chargers may, or MAY NOT like being wired to a fan... 

The key phrase that bothers me is "automatic shutoff"  That implies charger has some smarts, and may not work if it doesn't see some residual battery voltage.

Don't get me wrong, I love the light weight and efficiency of switching supplies and chargers, but they might not work with old motors.  Sometimes old "brute force"

designs are needed.

"May the juice be with you!"

My bet, the higher percentage is on the "may" side of the coin. The fan will never send a message back to the charger it is fully charged.  No need for a rectifier either. 🙂

What would be ideal is to find a coil that can build decorative box to conceal. Rather dodge the bulky printer transformers. 

Thinking a doughnut coil step up wired opposite would work, just now need to find a coil 

I have never had a problem
running any AC/DC universal
motor on half-wave DC.

Easy and cheap!,...
                       ...that's me.  confused.gif.97469da0b6a893f3119ebb539f98f4bf.gif

Screenshot_20221216-134337_Chrome.thumb.jpg.416a5d429d70d2c1249637550ced85e5.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

5 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

What would be ideal is to find a coil that can build decorative box to conceal. Rather dodge the bulky printer transformers. 

Thinking a doughnut coil step up wired opposite would work, just now need to find a coil 

You can hide "anything" with a little imagination, Chris. The tag on the transformer was made with my instruction by Donald Coleman. The vented transformer has a new transformer in it hard to see unless you stuck your face up to it. And.........the vented box was not a transformer box to start. I think you get where I'm going. 🙂 Good luck!

unnamed.png

6 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Photo credit:
         Steve Dempsey

1236361286_diodeinswitch.jpg.ef73ef99fc4b9ebae5e1fc53e485dc7c.jpg.57ef5e2ce0b70c2b41c92e7970196e96.jpg

120VAC in,...
                   60VDC out.

Actually, that is my photo. I tried running/rectifying a 12" DC fan on a half wave diode once, that didn't work to well. I don't know why, but it didn't run worth a $hit.  The half wave diodes work great for rectifying/slowing down the little fans. They work great on the little fans for a second slower speed.

Edited by Russ Huber