Where does this Emerson #24645 "BB" go?

Gary Tackel

Think you have a rogue bb there! I've been into plenty of Emerson oscillator boxes and have yet to find a bb. 

Edited by Patrick Ray
  • Like 1

Gary hasn't shown off the back of his 24645. It appears one of the previous owners put the ratchet case BB in the gearbox for safe keeping. 🙂 

Gary, does your 24645 have the oscillation linkage and wheel that would be below the gearbox?

Edited by Russ Huber

Ross - thank you for solving my mystery! Must have fell out when I detached the oscillator box. I did not separate the 2 halves of the oscillator wheel , so the spring is still in the oscillator wheel. Now, if I can find a good oscillator housing - mine is cracked - can make do with it - but would like to find a good replacement. 

20221218_013800.jpg

20221218_013856.jpg

20221218_014050.jpg

2 hours ago, Chris Campbell said:

Your lower plate is broken. Jerry Bravi makes replacements in steel

Sure does.  I just ordered two from him.  Excellent reproductions and better than originals. 

• Like 1

I have ordered them from Jerri Bravi. They fit Johnny on the spot, and being they are machined steel, they offer supreme support to the upper portion of the case.

unnamed (1).png

unnamed (2).png

unnamed (3).png

Edited by Russ Huber

Gary, you have a dandy example of an early COMPLETE 24645. Your oscillator wheel (ratchet case) despite the POT METAL (die cast) bottom cover being damaged, is typically missing or has been replaced by the later adjustment case.

Whoever put that ball "BB" in the gear case did you yet another favor. 🙂

Edited by Russ Huber

1# rule ........Never panic. If someone is willing to gift you a gearbox replacement, great. If not, do some homework on the web/You tube videos doing brazing/special welding of DIE CAST POT METAL. You can repair that crack as see it from here, doll it up on the outside nice and smooth. A bead left on the INSIDE of the casing is out of sight,out of mind. Good luck.

Make sure you thoroughly clean that housing before you repair it to remove as much lubricant residue as possible. Die cast alloy is porous, so when you heat it to repair it, lubricant that has soaked into the pores will come smoking out. 🙂 

20221216_015913.thumb.jpg.c6eb22f9e3380bfdf3a5a7c5e80129a0.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Hey Gary, one more thing and then I will shut up and go away. When you get your ratchet case bottom cover, and when you're ready to put it all together, here is a heads up special for you.  When you compress that BB in the spring against one of the notches in the adjustment ratchet getting ready to put your new bottom plate on, be prepared in the event that spring loaded BB flies out. Don't be near something like a sink or floor drain, or some silly place that BB can roll into or under and hide. I grease the spring and BB and add a film of grease in the ratchet notches before assembly. There is a bit of a trick to assembling it to reduce the chances of the BB flying out. Practice makes perfect. Be a good Boy Scout and BE PREPARED. Enjoy your toy! 🙂 

IMG_5065.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

I used muggy weld on pot metal once and seem to work ok. 

Rich Becher Muggy Weld repair of past (reinforce/build up/doll up) of a Dayton pot metal pivot. 

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

When replacing ball and spring I do it inside clear ziplock bag to catch ball if it unloads

If you're using the gallon size zip lock, challenge yourself and do it in the quart size.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

If you're using the gallon size zip lock, challenge yourself and do it in the quart size.

I will use a little snack bag to make it more of a challenge, smaller than quart size😃

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the feedback. Nothing more valuable than " been there, done that" ! - then add people who are gracious enough to share their hard-earned wisdom and experience!