Clamshell question

Ron May

Several years ago I restored a clamshell, serial number 23409. That fan had grease cups.

I bought another one and just noticed the cups are missing. The only difference in the 2 fans is the grease cups and the one that's not restored has a 150 prefix in the serial number.

I've searched the web and I've seen them both ways. Does anyone know if they stopped using the grease cups at some point, or do I need to make a new set when I restore this one. 

DSCN6031.JPG

DSCN6045.JPG

IMG_20221217_142754146.jpg

IMG_20221217_143204230.jpg

• Like 1

The 1916 introduction models started with the grease injection screw downs. Grease cups appeared 17-18.  With all due respects, being it is not a rare Belding fan motor from 1890, which grease lubrication option would you rather have to make? 🙂 As long as you don't involve Steve Stephens into the purist debate, take your pick and live with it. 🙂

Beautiful restoration Ron. And interesting reading about the injection screws on the first year Russ. I hadn’t seen those before and just looked on the old site to see more. I picked up a grease cup clamshell this past summer and haven’t done anything with it yet. Serial # is 23767x. Just noticed I’m missing both of the little “twizzle sticks” for the cups. 

8E0D9822-7B23-4B6A-9845-32FD7F16F28B.thumb.jpeg.68c338450d5f9b0dfa635da6b358b803.jpeg

BDF8943F-F360-410F-9580-04125F6E73A1.thumb.jpeg.6c9f48b2ba8ef57cf072df52a0225575.jpeg

• Like 1

Ron, to be a little more helpful, I was searching the web for at least one clamshell example with the oval brass base tag with grease injection screw downs. I couldn't find one, not to say I didn't miss one, I just couldn't peg one down. As I stated, the screw down grease injection models with the rectangular base tag were first generation. However, there are rectangular base tag models with grease cups which would be late 16".....early 17?   The 1917 -1919 models had the grease cups.  The clamshell tags started rectangular brass, than oval brass, and then aluminum. Menominee may have mixed the brass & aluminum oval base tags later (18-19?). Good luck finding a clamshell rectangular base tag in aluminum.

DSC_7442.JPG

Menominee back.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Thanks Russ, helpful information as always! This fan isn't high on my list of priorities, once I get around to restoring it I think I'll turn some brass grease cups. You know I've never been much of a purist unless I have to be. 

This may help you follow in the footsteps of Steveo in his quest for patina and purity.  Menominee is announcing changes in 1917 electrical trade to the 1916 introduction 8" AC/DC stationary (clamshell). I think we can pretty much take to the bank one of those changes is the grease cup.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1