Emerson 78646-BC wall mount Navy fan (non-oscillating) blade removal SOLVED! Thanks Stan !!!

John Landstrom

Title says it all.  Been searching the old site, this site, and the interweb and found nothing that relates to this fan specifically.  
Most relate to the oscillating versions where you use the top left gearbox screw hole to thread in a longer bolt to put enough pressure on the rotor to keep it from turning.  

The closest I’ve found says to insert a screwdriver through the rear motor housing at a pretty steep angle into one of the rotor holes - making sure to avoid damaging the stator wiring.  Sounds easy enough until you realize that the rear vent holes on the motor will only allow for a #1 Phillips which pivots severely when the blade is turned.  I’ve tried but am afraid of cracking the rear housing cover torquing the blade enough to make a removal attempt. (Reverse thread?  Tried both ways). I believe it’s case is cast iron.  (Please correct me if I’m wrong).  

seeking help ‘cause I’m at a standstill on the disassembly.  

Edited by John Landstrom

Upon looking at mine, I don’t think locking the rotor will work. Once that front nut is removed, try a wedge or screwdriver between the blade hub & front bearing housing.

• Like 1

Stan,  

You’re a saint !   

Thanks for sticking with me on this.  I remember you saying something like that before but it didn’t make sense to me at the time.

Just a few minutes ago I went back out and tried to get a large screwdriver in between the two parts.   Really couldn’t do it.   Then I set the end of the large flat blade screwdriver up under the hub and tapped with a small hammer.   Stroke of genius Stan !   The blade slipped up the rotor shaft and was off.  It didn’t screw on, merely slid down the rotor shaft that had a “key” on the side of the shaft to keep it in place.  (Corresponding slot in the hub).   That’s what you meant the whole time.  If not it was at least close enough to get me to where I needed to be.  

Thanks again for hearing me vent my frustration, and for responding again here on this post.   You gave me a very Merry day-after Christmas !!

• John Landstrom changed the title to Emerson 78646-BC wall mount Navy fan (non-oscillating) blade removal SOLVED! Thanks Stan !!!

For those who may be interested, here are a few photos of the blade/hub removal technique for an Emerson 78646-BC non-oscillating wall mount fan blade.  

1.  Clamp the hub in padded vice grips or similar gripping tool. 
2.  Spray the front nut area with penetrating oil if desired.  Leave to soak in.  (I did and I believe it definitely helped).  
3.  Using a socket wrench remove the nut in the standard fashion. (Counterclockwise). 
4.  Remove the vice grips. 
5.  Spray the threaded rotor shaft area and let it soak in. (Optional, but I did). 
6.  Support the fan in a way that leaves the blade free to turn.  
7.  Using a large flat blade screwdriver or other tool of your choice, place the tip on the underside of the hub. (See pic).  
8.  Using a small hammer to tap the bottom of the screwdriver working the hub up (and off of) the rotor shaft.

Done !  

pics:

position of screwdriver that worked for me. 
blade front (blade now removed). Note the “key” slot at bottom of the rotor shaft hole. 
rotor shaft. Note the corresponding “key” on the rotor shaft.  

38F8299A-5B9C-478D-AB8C-7343B4C152CE.jpeg

AD9134B5-730D-40DD-A7B5-5FA147B151F5.jpeg

314CF4AB-4223-497C-B36C-22A941EE6EAC.jpeg

• Like 1