24" Hunter Circulator

Russ Huber

I think this is a 40s model, but I am not sure.  If I am wrong someone correct me. I recently picked it up as is taken off the ceiling untested. What threw me back was I know there was a toggle switch where the levolier switch should have been. In a nutshell, I figured someone in past removed the levolier and cobbled a toggle switch to at least get it to run, or just my luck it didn't run. Tonight, I pulled the rear motor housing off to find someone actually knew what to h ell he was doing. Someone wired a 5-wire motor/capacitor start to a 3-pole double throw switch!  It actually runs nice on two speeds. The only thing it needs is someone to love it, clean up the guard, and give it some flashy new skin.  It has an aluminum blade which would polish out to chrome luster and needs new power wire ceiling to plug on the bullet back.

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

Hunterhung1.jpg.f8acddbd14124aba77c7470e50067bdd.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

I must be slipping. "In 1946 the company moved its plant from Fulton to its present location in Memphis in order to take advantage of the rapid industrial expansion of the South. Three years later, Hunter was acquired by Robbins & Meyers, Inc., a fan manufacturer based in Springfield, Illinois."

This circulator would date it appears 46-48.

image.thumb.jpeg.d74a4b6137d1be4264cd194736512ba7.jpeg

Make of this what you will.

The Hunter sales office was in Memphis as of, roughly, 1925, listed as Fan and Motor Co.

1938 Directory listings in both locations list the new name, Fan & Ventilating.

image.jpeg.0033d963dc599199d8675e348621d8d1.jpeg

Two years ago I was researching Peoples, not Hunter, so I've nothing further to contribute to this speculation.

I've summed up below everything I know about Hunter tags and their geographic designations,

but there have to be some Members specializing in Hunter of this era.....

image.thumb.png.89ad61dda53b06d86db5c526c0f4ef4a.png

I pulled this from a Hunter history source on the web.  I recall from past reading something more credible to validate the Hunter manufacturing facility moving from Fulton to Memphis in 46.

In 1946 the company moved its plant from Fulton to its present location in Memphis in order to take advantage of the rapid industrial expansion of the South. Three years later, Hunter was acquired by Robbins & Meyers, Inc., a fan manufacturer based in Springfield, Illinois. For the next 45 years, Hunter operated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Robbins & Meyers, producing a complete line of residential, commercial, and industrial fans.

I never did pay attention to the motor tags on these. My bet, with those funky guards, they're Fulton manufacture. 

Hunterhung6.jpg.84b262462e8b5dc8e1e0ae9cb616e519.jpg.a84bacbb24e5a946280172bee908f077.jpg

Hunterhung5.jpg.650bb56af179d9643924bf956aca80aa.jpg.5a7e2dca6494846b58fca22eb97a5e5c.jpg

new fans 125.jpg

fi444.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

I noticed someone posted a "like" symbol by the circulator I recently acquired above. I don't even know how that is done yet? 🙂 I am not going to keep it, and I don't want stupid money for it. And I am not going to ship it.  Bill Fanum who frequents many meets is roughly 1 hour northwest of me has transported fans for me. I can't speak for him, but for a price he MAY consider taking this circulator to a meet he plans to go to. Bill is a great guy, but it is only fair he gets paid for transport. Shipping a 24" circulator would be stupid money especially in these times. 

If someone is interested in the Hunter ceiling circulator I presently have posted above and is going to a meet Bill may be attending, please feel free to message me. I would have to talk to Bill to see how he feels about transporting it, and how much he wants to do it. We can go from there. Like I said, this is not a Deluxe Edgar T. Ward circulator, no stupid money. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Block said:

That A242 is a sweet fan. IMO one of the best circulators out there.

I might be interested, but it won't let me PM you for some reason.

I think the messaging may be a membership thing on your end. No shipping.  507-279-2635