Overstamped Pancakes.

Jim Henderson

I have a number of GE pancakes 🥞 where 60 cycles is overstamped either 125 or 133 cycles and I've seen quite a number of these in the market and other collections. Logic would dictate the tag not be stamped until the fan was assembled. As 60cycles became a standard frequency were a lot of these returned to GE for a stator swap and overstamped or would it be done by distributors and repair shops?

1 hour ago, Jim Henderson said:

Overstamp would be done by repair shops?

I have actual Emerson documentation that would have been on file at a repair shop that details the models and specific parts of a specific time period for them to place orders for the needs. It is hard to imagine in this day and age taking your appliance in for repair. Back then in the process of standardization high frequency motors once standard in an area were replaced by 60 cycle generating stations and the repair shops were supplied with stamping dies (by the manufacturer?) to alter the tags to correct frequency.

1 hour ago, Jim Henderson said:

Curious to see so many over stamped GEs and so few from other manufacturers.

If you asked Kim Frank he would tell you they just pitched most of the high frequency Emersons, or they were used as door stops until the WW11 scrap drive.  I myself have some high frequency GE cakes that didn't get converted in my trunk to help keep the rear end from fishtailing in winter.

• Haha 1