BMY speed coil question

Tim Babcock

I ran across this BMY switch assembly. I don't know if it will work with my BMY.  My coil had only three wires coming out of it. They all went to the switch lever connection knobs. This one has three wires going to the lever connection knobs but only two coming out of the coil. I think my fan is a different set up. Thanks for any help. DSC08298.JPG.2bb8ff67423ae753fcb6abfa9822e9be.JPGDSC08297.JPG.cbc944c3fe40d0544e34c999546b9581.JPGDSC08296.JPG.754fa51cbc4388fae7290eb92722a861.JPG

If your fan had a switch with a halo coil mounted on it, this will not work.  This is intended for a fan that has the resistance wound into the stator.  

If your stator has approximately the same resistance between headwire pairs this will not work.  If the stator has a pair with high resistance than it should work. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks Lane. I thought that was the case. So there seems to be three different set ups on for the GE BMY. Mark is rewinding my coil. So that will fix this fan. I ran across this one and thought it may work. No problems and thanks again. I need the coil that has three wires that go directly to the three switch knobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Babcock said:

Thanks Lane. I thought that was the case. So there seems to be three different set ups on for the GE BMY. Mark is rewinding my coil. So that will fix this fan. I ran across this one and thought it may work. No problems and thanks again. I need the coil that has three wires that go directly to the three switch knobs.

Tim, your coil went out this morning.

I will send you the tracking number by messaging.

22 hours ago, Tim Babcock said:

Yeah the third type is the early (1908?) type with centrifugal start. 

On 12/31/2022 at 7:42 AM, Tim Babcock said:

Tim, please remember that your fan will need the capacitor added to it if you do not have the halo resistor. The rewound coil alone will not run your fan, it needs a phase shift across one of the three windings to cause it to start.

3 hours ago, Tim Babcock said:

Mark, I have a Cap in line now. The fan runs when tested but of course no speed control, just full speed.

Let me know how the coil works out for you!

I keep getting the same speed on all three settings. I have changed the hookups and still all the same. Not sure what is going on. I get a readings of the coil ohms as ABC A to B .35 A to C  4.7 and B to C 1.4, when I plug it in to the head I get amps of .65 .63 .52 So I am not sure where I am going wrong.

24 minutes ago, Tim Babcock said:

I keep getting the same speed on all three settings. I have changed the hookups and still all the same. Not sure what is going on. I get a readings of the coil ohms as ABC A to B .35 A to C  4.7 and B to C 1.4, when I plug it in to the head I get amps of .65 .63 .52 So I am not sure where I am going wrong.

Do you have the blade on it?

Okay, a couple of things. A to B plus B to C should equal A to C.

Pick an end wire, call it A, call the other end C and the middle B.

Your readings have a misplaced decimal point, probably from auto ranging of the meter, but 3.5 + 1.4 = 4.9 and you got 4.7, that is good.

The fact that the motor current does change when the speed tap is changed indicates that the coil "works"

You may need to swap A and C

I believe the capacitor you have installed may be too "big". Try a 2.5 uF. If it won't start, try a 4uF

For that fan, the 2.5 mfd seems more reasonable.  I forget what they had in them. But if I recall that’s my go to.  As Mark said, if  it doesn’t start go a little higher value. 4 mfd is a bit high. The size of the cap affects the amount of phase shift on the start coil.