Emerson Motor Tag Removal

Russ Huber

A member sent me a message asking advice on an Emerson motor tag removal. I did a pictorial step by step procedure of tools I use and method. You can go about it in the way that works for you. The original brass escutcheon pins once bent straight typically snap off as they were peened at the elbow bend at the factory. Don't get under the tag with a flat head screwdriver wrenching away to pull up the rivets or you will bend the $hit out of the tag. If after the extensions of the rivets are snapped off the rivet is stubborn to pull up, use a dremel with grinding disc to zap the excess rivet protruding and then try again. It should pull up easy. I ordered my 16-gauge 1/2" brass Decorative Finishing nails/escutcheon pins from McMaster bulk.  McMaster-Carr   to reinstall the tag.

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

• Like 2

If your tag gets bent, or was bent, I use a jeweler's anvil and rubber/plastic hammer to get er back in alignment. 🙂 Just put some thin, soft cloth between the tag and the anvil.

71Esrb4bxpL.jpg

5b241b541fbd65a768e750cb068ff2163e32524b_original.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Russ, similar to your method... But after I nip off the folded over portion of the pin, I use a spring loaded automatic center punch to drive the pin out. No prying of the tag. No possibility of damaging paint or the tag. 😃 

IMG_20220313_162855903.jpg

IMG_20220313_162851458.jpg

• Like 4

I use the automatic center punch method, it works well for me. You have to be very careful on the all brass fan if the punch slips (like mine did) then you have a dimple to repair 

I have this 90 degree ice pick tool. It’s a steel pick. I use a similar method as Patrick uses.  I remove the bent portion, and then tap from the inside with this tool. It will push the remaining nail up enough to make removal possible and it’s safe on the tag!

Hoping this helps👍

22EFEA29-3E14-4595-9684-851E23572829.jpeg

• Like 2

I push the rivets out from the inside.  Almost always reuse them as well.  I flatten out the section that passes through the casting.  Then drive it back in with a small hammer from the outside(holding with small needle nose pliers).  I have never had one come loose.

3 minutes ago, Mark Stillman said:

I push the rivets out from the inside.  Almost always reuse them as well.  I flatten out the section that passes through the casting.  Then drive it back in with a small hammer from the outside(holding with small needle nose pliers).  I have never had one come loose.

Most of mine are reusable as well. I the same method as you Mark. But I also dip the rivet into a lil super glue just for added hold. 

The McMaster brass 16 gauge-1/2" escutcheon pins are $4.20 + shipping for 200. For you real frugal folks, if you can think of something else that you could use from McMaster in the same order you get more bang for your buck on the shipping. I gotta give Mcmaster a pat on the back, you no more than place the order and that package will be at your door within 2 days. 🙂 

FWIW....as questionable as my method may look, with that wide spade angled sharp razor tool I got at a flea market carefully inserted under the tag, I don't have to pry the tag up. It just comes up. The width and angled razor blade is the key for lifting force.  And if it doesn't want to come up, I just give the remaining protruding rivet on the inside of the housing a quick zap with a dremel grinding wheel, so it is flush with the housing. after that the tag just lifts up. I have had to flatten messed tags someone before me messed with. 

There is nothing wrong with using the punch to drive the rivet out. I have done that as well on big motor housings in the past. Whatever trips your trigger. 🙂

IMG_3057.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2