DC GE Quiet Blade questions

Anthony Lindsey

I picked up this 12" DC Quiet Blade a while back for $40.  Pretty stoked about it.   When I got it it was greasy and nasty but ran perfectly at about 87 degrees.  I stripped it down and cleaned/painted everything and replaced headwire and power cord.   The original headwire was twisted 2 wire and I used same looking wire but it was thinner than the original.   Didn't remove stator but cleaned it with brush and air.  Same with speed coil.  Put it back together and it runs Quiet and nice but now runs at 107 degrees.   The new wire is thinner than the original wire.  Could this cause it to run warmer?  I didn't really change anything.   Still runs great and 107 isn't really hot but why the difference?  Any ideas?

2nd thing:

It has the "oil impregnated " bearing with no hole.  I cleaned everything and put new wick and ran it for 3-4 days and it runs great.   Swapped it for other fans over the last couple weeks but rotated it back to the kitchen counter.   Turned it on and SQUEEK SQUEEK SQUEEK.   I did oil the commutator shaft when I assembled it but it wasn't happy on start up this time.   I flipped it on it's back and oiled the shaft and gravity oiled the bearing.    The question is will the bearing eventually absorb oil from the cup/wick?  Do they "dry out"  over time?  Will it "re oil itself?

20221119_131120.jpg

20221119_131126.jpg

20221222_114428.jpg

20221222_114447.jpg

20221222_114452.jpg

20221222_114502.jpg

20221222_114513.jpg

Oil impregnated is another name for Oilite porous bearing brought into the world by Crysler patent filed in 1930. There is a way to resolve your frustration. It would require some disassembly to get it the way you want it. Who made a law that you can't drill a wick hole through the bearing? I'll answer that, no one. Just make sure the armature or rotor shaft is out of the bearing before you drill. I did that on the Gosling quiet blade model with Oilite bearings. Worked great. 🙂

When I bought the Gosling design quiet blade fan the rotor was frozen solid in the bone dry Oilite bearings.  

1498402037002589991-01974173 (storage.googleapis.com)

untitled.png

Edited by Russ Huber