Emerson 78646-BC project (post #3) update & electrical questions

John Landstrom

Little more progress….

Have taken it apart with the following expectations:

1.  Remove the stater so that I could replace the head wires (frayed).   Tried the PVC pipe trick.  No go, didn’t budge.  So now the plan is to solder new head wires as close to the entry hole as possible, heat shrink, and punch them inside a bit so it doesn’t show outside the motor case.  
2.  When I pulled off the front cover and unscrewed the threaded shafts they were quite visibly bent.   These thread into the back cover of the motor housing and have a permanent “ring” 2/3rds up the shaft that holds the stater secure.  The front cover slides over remaining portion of the shafts allowing for nuts to be threaded on to hold the front cover secure. So, being diligent I straightened them.  Upon attempting to reinstall the front cover I found that the newly straightened shafts didn’t line up with the holes in the front cover. WTF??   I had to use a small hammer to bend them so they matched the holes.  Guess they were intentionally bent like that at the factory due to inconsistencies in the castings of the case.   Anyway, my bad for not leaving well enough alone.  All good now though.  

Onto my question for the day….

Please refer to the attached pics.  Sorry. The last two are out of order.

I want to test the motor without using the toggle switch.   However I have a drawing of how I believe the switch works.  Comments welcome.

My thought Is to connect the White (NEG) wire from a power cord to the Yellow head wire.  That’s the way it was on the terminal block inside the base before disassembly.  Next, I would connect the Black (HOT) wire from the power cord to Green head wire (slow), then move it to the Red head wire (fast) to check the motor function.  

Don’t want to burn anything up here so I’ll be waiting for comment before attempting this.   

Oh, I’ve also included a few pics of the in progress work.  The front case has a copper-ish look where both the Battleship grey and original black paint were removed.  The piece that holds the motor spindle and rotates in the base appears to have a much more bronze color.  Cast bronze??  Kinda doubtful, but then again these were made for the Navy.  

19FD466C-B5E9-4957-B8C6-ABF6512735FE.jpeg

33141CC5-F63E-4B95-9A37-BDF05D764335.jpeg

B70DC7CF-9C66-4DEE-8E98-3B04A6F25031.jpeg

0E67E3A8-60B6-416E-B0C8-0C4CA643BEF2.jpeg

7641F21A-8C48-44FA-AC8A-DEA842833FAA.jpeg

22826A37-DE69-4132-A829-7C6CE48C8D95.jpeg

C071323E-95E1-4593-AB9D-3882E17B49AD.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...