Emerson 2650-B

Robert Kennedy

I have a 1940's 2650-B 10" oscillator that I've rewired per everyone's instructions and pictures. I checked it with my multimeter and there is varying numbers on the display......it won't just settle on one number. I also plugged it into a meter that checks voltage and watts.....display reads 120 volts @ 60 watts so I should be good right?....Nope, I've not soldered all the wires together yet so I just used jumpers put I do have the body and head assembled (waiting on vintage power cord). I go to flip the toggle switch and there's nothing! Any ideas on what might be wrong.....with me, trust me it could be anything. Thanks everyone.

First off, just put power on the two head wires, nothing else. See if it will run. If not, try turning the rotor, will it turn with power applied. The 2650s were probably the worst motors Emerson produced & failure seems fairly common. The 2450 & 6250 motors were much improved.

15 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

First off, just put power on the two head wires, nothing else. See if it will run. If not, try turning the rotor, will it turn with power applied. The 2650s were probably the worst motors Emerson produced & failure seems fairly common. The 2450 & 6250 motors were much improved.

I'll check that when I get home for sure......if it's fried is there anyone out there that might have a good replacement windings and stator? I just spent a lot of time and resources to get this fan presentable.

35 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

The rotor spins really well, it's not bound up at all.

Ok you put power to it & it is pulling 60 watts but the rotor isn’t turning, correct? With the power on, does the rotor spin freely while it is pulling 60 watts?

6 hours ago, Robert Kennedy said:

I'll check that when I get home for sure......if it's fried is there anyone out there that might have a good replacement windings and stator? I just spent a lot of time and resources to get this fan presentable.

No power

17 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

Ok you put power to it & it is pulling 60 watts but the rotor isn’t turning, correct? With the power on, does the rotor spin freely while it is pulling 60 watts?

I miss-spoke on that 60 watts.....I'm using a device that registers voltage and watts when something is plugged in to it.....it automatically ready whatever power that the extension cord and outlet is putting out......when I then plug the fan into the device it doesn't read anything.

Did you run power directly to the headwire & what did it do if so? It should hum, buzz, or something if current is flowing through it. Also if it does have current flowing through it, did you try turning the rotor with it powered up. If so, did it stiffen under power or just vibrate? If there is no current flow, check closely where the headwires connect, there could be a broken winding or defective headwire.

13 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

Did you run power directly to the headwire & what did it do if so? It should hum, buzz, or something if current is flowing through it. Also if it does have current flowing through it, did you try turning the rotor with it powered up. If so, did it stiffen under power or just vibrate? If there is no current flow, check closely where the headwires connect, there could be a broken winding or defective head wire.

Yes, I ran the power directly to the head wires and heard a slight "pop" and smelled a hint of burn, no smoke so I unplugged it and haven't touched it since. While it was still plugged in I manually spun the blade and nothing kicked in. I felt the top of the head and couldn't feel anything vibrating.

Yeh that doesn't sound good. Usually Emerson motors are bullet proof, but those models seems to have the most issues. I have had 4 with bad stators.

17 hours ago, Mark Olson said:

Is that a four pole shaded pole motor? They run hot. I can rewind it with 200C rated insulation wire and it will hold up.

Mark, I'm not quite sure that I understand.....pardon my ignorance here. Stan Adams, can you answer this for me....from Mark Olson. Also, Mark....what if it's a bad stator?

I don't want to get in too rich with a $40 fan if you know what I mean.

19 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

Yeh that doesn't sound good. Usually Emerson motors are bullet proof, but those models seems to have the most issues. I have had 4 with bad stators.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!  Don't say that Stan! Not bullet proof?? 🫣🤫🤔🤐

5 hours ago, Robert Kennedy said:

Mark, I'm not quite sure that I understand.....pardon my ignorance here. Stan Adams, can you answer this for me....from Mark Olson. Also, Mark....what if it's a bad stator?

I don't want to get in too rich with a $40 fan if you know what I mean.

Hi Robert, the stator is the part with the windings. Rewinding the stator cures a bad stator. If it is the type I think it is, I can wind it for 75 dollars. If it is split phase and not shaded pole, 150 dollars.