heads up on Edison Tri-pod bipolar fan

David Kilnapp

Hello friends. I'm always antsy about posting regarding eBay listings but in this case I feel obliged to point out a couple of things that bidders should know, particularly given the high numbers this fan is likely to sell for. I looked at this posting as I'm interested to see what it goes for but I didn't notice the things below. Another AFCA'er brought them to my attention.

2094488907_EdisononeBay.thumb.jpg.de6890ecd79819255d64dd3efdc2d71d.jpg

Image1.jpg.1c66ddd8b966219bc7d726d2690de092.jpg

Look closely at the wings near the hub. You'll see that two of the wings have had their corners removed (presumably to balance the blade?) Furthermore, the right lower wing appears to have been soldered near the hub. These issues are not fatal flaws (in my opinion) but they should be disclosed to potential buyers. One more thing; the seller has no feedback which would be concerning to me if I were expected to forward the considerable sum that this fan may sell for. Just sayin' Still this is a rare desirable fan.

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 2

I'm not sure I would have noticed that detail David.  I"ll post a few photos of my all original Edison fan.   I can't say if the clipped wings are original or may have been made that way but it is worth investigating more.

CIMG3225.JPG

CIMG3222.JPG

CIMG3224.JPG

CIMG3330.JPG

CIMG3332.JPG

• Thanks 1

I didn't notice them Steve, another AFCA'er (you know him) noticed and told me. This other AFCA'er (who didn't want his name mentioned) has the same fan in much the same condition as yours, which is spectacular by the way. It's a fan I truly wish I had. If you ever consider selling it, I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase it.

Welcome, Mel. People have had different ideas about calling out specific eBay listings as it may inflate the value but I would think that the universe of potential buyers for these high end, high value fans is rather narrow and only a few buyers would be willing to pay or even bid. In any event, I expect that two or three bidders, at most, will bid and it will come down to the last minute. Any guess what that final number may be?

Edited by David Kilnapp

I have no interest in the fan or owning that type, so I'm not knocking that fan, but it almost looks like the blades were modified to give clearance for the set screw. I doubt that would be factory. The seller goes way back, it wouldn't surprise me to learn they're a former member. I'd just ask the seller if they have a history on it...

Interesting idea, Michael, but if you look at Steve Stephens fan, there appears to adequate clearance for the set screw without cutting the wings. In any event, I'd be more likely to modify the set screw than cut the wings - a lot less work. But who knows? I emailed the seller, through eBay, to inquire about the history of ownership and perhaps get a video of it running when the listing first appeared on eBay. No response.

Yeah, the last thing would be to cut the blades but I don't see how modifying them at that point would balance everything out anyway. He does have a picture of it running too, so he knows how to do at least that much.

1 hour ago, John Trier said:

Here’s an original HC blade with a clipped wing next to the set screw.  16” blade. 

image.thumb.png.320374dc8ae1f31ef70de283c83d4631.png

You would not think chopping the wing so close to the hub wouldn't be as effective as sanding the back of the wing further out. You just doll it back up with a buffer. 

image.thumb.v1.jpg.320374dc8ae1f31ef70de283c83d4631.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Some of those older brass blade wings are mighty thick, you can sand away with wet dry on the back of the wing and remove a fair amount of brass to dynamically balance without compromising the integrity of the wing. When you start getting down to .020 -.022  a wing will "BOING" when you flap it. 🙂

16 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Some of those older brass blade wings are mighty thick, you can sand away with wet dry on the back of the wing and remove a fair amount of brass to dynamically balance without compromising the integrity of the wing. When you start getting down to .020 -.022  a wing will "BOING" when you flap it. 🙂

The opposite blade is also clipped for balance I assume.  2 clipped blades.