PAINT SPLOTCH REMOVAL

Roger Borg

What is safe to use to remove splotches of house paint, or even to remove spray paint, without hurting the original finish?

I know early emerson Japan is beefier than early ge Japan, but would welcome recommendations for both.

Would also expand the query to include westy tank paint too.

Thanks...

Edited by Roger Borg

I use detail spray and  clay bar for the small mist spots of house paint.If it’s newer spray paint on the fan, acetone.Go easy at first on the acetone make sure it doesn’t remove the factory finish.Usually doesn’t hurt japan if you don’t get carried away.

2 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

I use detail spray and  clay bar for the small mist spots of house paint.If it’s newer spray paint on the fan, acetone.Go easy at first on the acetone make sure it doesn’t remove the factory finish.Usually doesn’t hurt japan if you don’t get carried away.

Regarding acetone, how do mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol compare in strength or use. Stick with careful acetone application, or are those others good options as well?

Thanks...

44 minutes ago, Roger Borg said:

Regarding acetone, how do mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol compare in strength or use. Stick with careful acetone application, or are those others good options as well?

Thanks...

I haven’t tried mineral spirits.May be fine?If it’s new spray paint alcohol may work.I have took the new crap off with it.The older stuff it won’t phase it.I like Acetone because it dries fast and doesn’t soak into the original.

1 hour ago, Lane Shirey said:

Spray purple power on house paint and let it soak.  It’ll come off. 

These are the drips. Very old I imagine, maybe lead house paint, who knows.

My hope was to build a working knowledge of what product works best for which brand, knowing that paints differed from companies, and for eras for that matter. But for me, i care most about info pertaining to the 30s and earlier.

As an aside, but related, i have been chipping old paint off a light fixture. Seems to be cast aluminum. Thoughts for easily removing the last bits of that paint as well?

20230118_201208.jpg

20230118_201141.jpg

I had a Porter motor covered in purple paint. I tried acetone, it didn't budge. Went to goof off on a cotton swab, melted it away and didn't harm the Japan or if motifs underneath. Did the whole motor with it.

Acetone is fairly strong, but on the old Emersons that I work on, it doesn't harm the original finish. I use acetone to cut through the dried up grease and oil on the fans before I take a buffer with compound to them as I like to brighten up the original Japan. Compound works great on removing light amounts of rattle can over spray. With house paint splatters, acetone or Purple Power. Then I'll buff. 

I've done several antique light fixtures and I love using CitriStrip to get rid of paint. No obnoxious smells so I can do it in the house. It's a gel so it clings well. Brush a layer on and let it chill in the deep sink for a couple hours. Maybe push the stuff around with a brush a bit to help break up the paint. 

2 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I had a Porter motor covered in purple paint. I tried acetone, it didn't budge. Went to goof off on a cotton swab, melted it away and didn't harm the Japan or if motifs underneath. Did the whole motor with it.

And it looks great

I have an R&M Gearback, was spray bombed, that paint dissolved with acetone, but there are splatters of white paint under that won't budge

Not this fan - mine is a project, but the original Japan is fine.

R&M LIST 11590 Restored 4 Sale.jpg