12" ge bmy advice

Paul Alexander

I have a 12" early # 343767 bmy. It runs great on high, not so great on med, low speeds. It is original (not restored) except for power cord. It howls (low growl) when running. I am considering restoring it and need advise on bearing replacement? If I could find replacement bearings, would I be wasting my time trying to replace them myself, or would I need to send the motor to Darryl Hudson and have him custom fit to the rotor. I don't intend on a high end restoration, just a fan that will run smooth and cool?

Look forward to as always, your expert advice!

Paul, I'm not so sure but what the howl might not come from the stator instead of the bearings.  Is there much slop in the existing bearings/rotor?  If so, I'm sure Darryl could fix it right up.  Jim

56 minutes ago, Jim Humphrey said:

Paul, I'm not so sure but what the howl might not come from the stator instead of the bearings.  Is there much slop in the existing bearings/rotor?  If so, I'm sure Darryl could fix it right up.  Jim

Jim, Thanks for your help! There is quite a bit of thrust play that probably could be fixed with thrust washers.  I know Darryl could fix everything, but with the stump weighing 30#s, I thought I might replace the bearings myself and save quite a bit on shipping back and forth. Just not sure if I want to spend the money on another fan right now! Thanks again!

22 hours ago, Jim Humphrey said:

What causes the rotor to howl? Since there is no contact except the bearings? Just because it is so large maybe? Paul