Does anyone know about this industrial fan?

Chris Argentino

A person is selling this industrial fan near me. He has no info on it and is asking $40 for it. I need a fan for my garage and I’m thinking this can be a good fan. What brand are they and how old is it? Also, can it be oiled and is it reliable?

5069F75B-44E5-4C57-8DF2-8DBAA2388741.png

6 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

It’s a Freshend Air, would make a great shop fan & you can’t go wrong at that price.

thank you!

Do you know if they can be oiled. And what year is it from? I’m thinking the metal cage is not original. 

Your blade wing tips MAY have been chopped down? If they were chopped down evenly it should run without significant vibration.  There should be oil ports front and rear. You can sand down the rust to bare metal and paint it. The model No. on the motor tag designates the original blade length.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven P Dempsey said:

That is a later 40s-50s model, I have 4 -great fans!

Fresh Fans.jpg

Very nice fan! It looks this blade he’s selling is shorter. Also why is there a mesh cage on the sellers fan? Is that aftermarket?

2 hours ago, Chris Argentino said:

Very nice fan! It looks this blade he’s selling is shorter. Also why is there a mesh cage on the sellers fan? Is that aftermarket?

It is an aftermarket safety net, just remove or cut it off if you don't want it. I would have the seller give it a spin for you before you dump your $40.00.  If it is a model 20 or 23 it should have at least 3 speeds. 

10 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

It is an aftermarket safety net, just remove or cut it off if you don't want it. I would have the seller give it a spin for you before you dump your $40.00.  If it is a model 20 or 23 it should have at least 3 speeds. 

I asked him if he would take $30 for it and he said sure. I’m very happy. He said he will give it a run. I’ll make sure it runs and it doesn’t wobble. I’ll also test how easily the blades move and how long it takes to stop after shutting it down on high setting. 

16 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

It’s weird because it doesn’t have the star pattern that these fans tend to have and the blades aren’t pointy at the end of them. What might be the reason for this? 

thann you

Just now, Russ Huber said:

Unless you have a magic wand, what you see is what you get. That kind of sums it up. 

I just find it interesting that the blades were cut back. Is that a common thing to do? And is there a freshnd aire fan that doesn’t have the star patterned cage like this one does

21 minutes ago, Chris Argentino said:

I just find it interesting that the blades were cut back. Is that a common thing to do? And is there a freshnd aire fan that doesn’t have the star patterned cage like this one does

There is a lot of things you don't know about that fan. And you're not going to learn them all today, or tomorrow. If you buy it, then you're going to start learning. Hopefully not the hard way. If you like the way it runs, look down at the ground and go hmmmmmm. Then say I wish it weren't so rusty, then pop the question if he would take $20? If he says yes, and you take it home and things start to happen that make you learn the hard way, you can sleep at night knowing it was only $20.

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

There is a lot of things you don't know about that fan. And you're not going to learn them all today, or tomorrow. If you buy it, then you're going to start learning. Hopefully not the hard way. If you like the way it runs, look down at the ground and go hmmmmmm. Then say I wish it weren't so rusty, then pop the question if he would take $20? If he says yes, and you take it home and things start to happen that make you learn the hard way, you can sleep at night knowing it was only $20.

I think $30 is fair. I got to see how bad the rust is. If it’s bad then I might not consider it to be honest. They seem like workhorses though

There are rubber dampers that hold the motor centered in the housing. There are two rubber dampers where the motor mounts to the front of the housing. If those dampers are rotted the motor can flop around inside the housing, and along with that the blade will shift angle. The switch may be there, missing, or dysfunctional. If he just plugs it in and there is no pull chain on the back motor housing for speed adjustment, that is a heads up you have a switch issue. There are a few small crash course tips for you. Good Luck!

If you offer $20 for it and he says yes, you're not being dishonest. He is probably desperate to get it out of his sight, and you're the man for the job.

14 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

There are rubber dampers that hold the motor centered in the housing. There are two rubber dampers where the motor mounts to the front of the housing. If those dampers are rotted the motor can flop around inside the housing, and along with that the blade will shift angle. The switch may be there, missing, or dysfunctional. If he just plugs it in and there is no pull chain on the back motor housing for speed adjustment, that is a heads up you have a switch issue. There are a few small crash course tips for you. Good Luck!

If you offer $20 for it and he says yes, you're not being dishonest. He is probably desperate to get it out of his sight, and you're the man for the job.

Thank you for the tips. I will look out for these. The fan has been on his page for some time so he does want to get it sold