Easy 20s 16”Westinghouse front case separation

Paul Carmody

I have had heck in the past separating the front case of stamped steel Westinghouse’s .I’ve tried all the tricks.lightly tapping the rotor to the front case,rubber mallet,nothing seems thin enough to fit in the tight fit.Especially on a fan with very good original paint where metal objects will certainly chip paint and scar metal.Example of years of separation,or at least attempts.The other is one already separated with near perfect paint.

408ED7EA-C9FF-48FF-9FF7-9081178BAFD5.jpeg

0A43C588-900B-464D-AB78-5C4A05C252A9.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

Also as with the nice one the factory used a very large amount of insulating varnish that further stuck it.

What is needed is an 1/4”dog point body screw,bolt.The dog point fits in the front case hole but fits tight against stator.The tapered threads and it’s ability to bite,it grabs tight with no damage or distortion to case.Get it started with fingers and snug with pliers or socket.I use a nail as a driver.Put tape so the washer that I need to remove with a Drimel Doesn’t further scratch case.

EE937CA0-ADA8-433A-AC7C-FDFD6A123080.jpeg

882E1A97-F895-42ED-AABA-BEA7EF83BA95.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

A small metal hammer and some taps.The nice one separated enough to work around and finish separating.The rough one popped right off.I did this one handed and the other hand on the video.The hits were not as hard as it looked.Light taps will just separate it enough to work it off.No muss no fuss no damage.

Or use a cable splicing knife to start opening the crack. Won’t damage paint. They’re available on Amazon. You can look them up by name. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Or use a cable splicing knife to start opening the crack. Won’t damage paint. They’re available on Amazon. You can look them up by name. 

That's a pretty nifty idea! Looks more professional than what I was doing... I use a box knife blade and tap on the back of the blade to separate the housings.