Westinghouse Whirlaire

Lawrence Smith

12 hours ago, John L Albright said:

Curious as to why most table fans are of CCW orientation as opposed to most bix fans CW.

Henry Tideman (Engineer Menominee Fans) had CCW blade rotation on all the late 19th century Menominee manufactured fans. In 1927 Henry returned to Signal Electric Mfg. Co. to resume as their fan motor engineer to replace his deceased son William who was killed in a car accident. By the 1928 fan motor season Henry had new fan motor designs on the market. Between 1928 and 1935 (Henry died in 1935) there were various desk & bracket desk fans with CCW blade rotation. After Henry's death ALL desk & bracket desk fans had CW blade rotation. 

Henry Tideman was a well-respected electrical engineer in the electrical trade. I to wonder WHAT was the infatuation or science behind CCW blade rotation? 

Gustav Koch was the Westinghouse engineer starting late 30s not only had numerous Westinghouse fan motor related patents well into the 50s, but he was also the man who defied the gospel Westinghouse CCW blade rotation. 

Edited by Russ Huber

Thank you for this reply.  It was more on the order of what I have come to expect from most of the dues paying members within this organization.

That said, I was once a paying member but dropped out as my keenest interest involves box fans and the bulk of this sight deals more with desk fans.  
I am in my mid 60’s and spent most of my life in the HVAC/R trade.  My fascination with fans at a very early age led to my choice of occupation.  I am not as knowledgeable about the many intricacies of antique fans or wiring and speed control as many of you are.  Wish I knew more and hopefully over time, I can glean additional information from the various posts within. However, at present I feel reluctant to air any questions I might have.

BTW.  I am not Mikey.  I won’t eat anything.

HAPPY FANING