Peerless 16 Front Oscillator Model FF98

Steven P Dempsey

The colonial I had had 2 leads from switch, don't recall it having a start switch -

I spent years chasing down the parts - - the main bronze drive gear was missing

cost 150 to get one made in Vietnam, sold it some years ago

Base Paint stripped2.jpg

Colonial 16.jpg

colonial damage1.jpg

Tag.jpg

1 hour ago, Steven P Dempsey said:

Took the old gal apart, wondering what that 3rd wire is in motor, should have 2 leads, gears are crisp!

1909 Peerless Fan 3.jpg

1909 Peerless Fan gearbox.jpg

Peerless Apart.jpg

Peerless Motor.jpg

Peerless Stump.jpg

Peerless Switch.jpg

Peerless Tag FF 98.jpg

Was there a remaining head cord before you performed surgery? If so, how many wires in the head cord?

content (3).v1 (2).jpg

content (4).v1 (2).jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Notice Peerless mentions 2 AC models BB and FF, both self-starting. BB it appears is specific to centrifugal start, FF it APPEARS MAY be a non-mechanical start phase shift model.

I found later Peerless 4 and 6 wing style FF AC non-mechanical start Peerless OSCILLATING desk fans from the old website.

wooster 032.jpg

wooster 031.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

3 minutes ago, Steven P Dempsey said:

Yes, I see the start switch

That is good. Two wires feed the primary run winding. Two wires feed the start winding.  It would be wise to remove the rotor, stator , centrifugal and check out what is going on back there with switch and wiring. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, find some that does. My bet is the windings and centrifugal are ok. 

You may want to update on your lubricant. Top shelf Blood Oath is far more expensive than your Four Roses. You will use less, and function much better. Fact Jack.

unnamed.png.b32862ad25a0161e4f4692f3d7c7d3cc.jpg

7bf58442-9a8a-4521-b364-3f30889a0942_510_m.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, can I remove the rotor without damage to the start switch? There is some resistance when

I tried to slide it out -insulation on the lead wires from stator is breaking down, so will need some

attention there. Last patent is 1909, so fan is 1910-11?

Steven,  if you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, don't do it.  If you want an adventure, and learning experience, dive in, but take it slow. Good luck.