A GE 2 Star No No

Russ Huber

I posted three 2 stars on a recent post started by Randy Pierce. All three were in sound mechanical operating condition, with two testing fully functional. One however seen assembled on the far-left Type AO Form R5 would not function. I tested ohms from the wires from the stator, the stator tested bad. I broke the fan down and removed the stator. The stator at first looked fine. The previous owner decided to replace a missing strut mounting screw with another screw same threading over twice as long as the original mounting screws. By doing so he drove the excessively long screw into the windings thus severing at least 4+ winding wires making the stator dysfunctional.

I hope this heads up helps someone in the future to be careful what length strut mounting screws you use. 

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

I wonder if each of those severed wires could be made accessible to a point where they could be repaired with a tiny wire re-connection, then soldered and sealed. Would be very tedious.  If successful, the worry then would be if the insulation on the nearby wires was compromised from the forced compression.  I had a fire from damaged windings like that and that made big fireworks.  I made up some 1.5 amp inline mini fuses with pigtails that I put directly to the incoming power source on most of what I do.  Not too many fans draw that much, and makes for a safe running fan.  Russ, I made a final entry regarding the brass oscillator wheel on the original post.  Those wheels are all steel on the 75423 fans

L1070196.JPG

L1070197.JPG

L1070198.JPG

35 minutes ago, Randy Pierce said:

I wonder if each of those severed wires could be made accessible to a point where they could be repaired with a tiny wire re-connection, then soldered and sealed.

Been there done that in past. The wonderful individual who turned the extended screw into the windings would have felt resistance in the last 1/8" to 1/4" he drove the screw into the windings seating it. Obviously, this individual of high intelligence despite the winding obstruction decided seating the strut screw was of far more importance than a functional fan. 

In a nutshell, the severed wires are just stumps disappearing into the abyss of winding. Done deal.