BTH Badge/1892 Badge/CGE Badge/EUG Badge

Louis Luu

4 hours ago, Tyler Bryson said:

wow! how are you making these? I see you have some sort of modeling software, but what's the actual fabrication? Very impressive

Software I used is a combination.  I like TinkerCAD for ease of geometry generation and alignment.  Meshmixer for Boolean math.  FreeCAD for texture smoothing.  I've been using Rhino3D since it is at a discount from my work place.  As for fabrication, printed metals and lost wax casting depending on the metal choice.  Metal choice are steel (both magnetic and nonmagnetic), aluminum, brass, silver, titanium.  Than there is an option for annealing to strengthen the metal.  It really all depends on what is intended.  For rotors, I use magnetic steel.  For decorative metal, I prefer brass and bronze.  Than there is aluminum which is lightweight and strong.  I have not tried titanium yet but the price is reasonable and the metal is extremely strong.  Bronze would probably be the most ideal for gears since is is strong and slippery....low friction.

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've seen a bearing cap for CGE.  I've seen bearing cap for BTH with the logo on it.  I already have the decal and the bearing and can merge the file to create this.

IMG_2340[1].JPG