How Do You Add Oil to the Open and Closed Top Century CFs?

Russ Huber

A friend of mine called and asked how to add oil to either an open or closed top Century CF. Can someone please advise me so I can help him out, I am not as CF nut. 

It's very simple on these fans.  *Slowly* loosen and unscrew the oil cup at the bottom of the motor (CCW to loosen) and fill to about half an inch below the holes in the casting.  You will see that the inside surface of the cast iron is sealed.  Use Zoom Spout or 3-in-1 Blue Top oil.  Tighten the oil cup snug, slowly again to avoid slinging oil out of the cup, and you should be good to go!

Funny thing, I had the oil cup off mine this afternoon & just got it back together when I saw this. On mine you have to unscrew the switch rod (CCW) before you unscrew the cup.

1 hour ago, Stan Adams said:

On mine you have to unscrew the switch rod (CCW) before you unscrew the cup.

I dug out an old flash drive of what I did in the past before I turned grey and became decrepit and feeble. Derek's examples must have been missing the original switch with rod extension.

CenturyCF1.jpg

fans 1 1024.jpg

fans 1 1043.jpg

That is correct, I neglected to add the info about the speed knob removal.  My Closed Top is unfortunately missing the knob, switch and speed coil.

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:17 AM, Russ Huber said:

A friend of mine called and asked how to add oil to either an open or closed top Century CF. Can someone please advise me so I can help him out, I am not as CF nut. 

Hi Russ, are perhaps able to share the pictures of your restoration progress?  I have a century 173 that I am going to restore.  I am also curious how the original blade adapters looked, mine all seem to be welded but I am not sure of that is how they originally looked.

Pretty amazing that people actually HUNG FROM THE CEILING a fan that is this heavy.  I am just amazed by the incredible mass of this fan!  Not even sure if I can hang this from a beam and feel safe!