Rewiring an Emerson 89649 switch

Shawn Bruce

New member here and my first post. I have a 1953 Emerson 89649 with a bad Levolier switch. I took it apart and pieces of a tiny gear fell out so I'm not counting on fixing it. I purchased a rotary switch to replace it but I can't figure out how to wire it. The original switch had 4 leads and positive/negative but the replacement only has 5 prongs. How do I get 6 wires down to 5? I've rewired many a table fans but this is beyond my meager electric knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I’m not familiar with that model number, but If this is one of those Deacon motors, it is a series/parallel. You wire it like a K60 circulator with a 3PDT switch.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses!  Lane, I'll take some pics of the motor and switch this afternoon.  Stan, it's a Roll-A-Bout model.  The later versions came with rotary switches but this has the earlier Levolier pull switch. I've never done a K60 circulator but if you have some pics, I can probably figure it out.  Thanks again!