6 WING BMY

Roger Borg

Wondering how to confirm if this is a true 6 pole motor.

Read some older posts on the old forum regarding how many nubs on the rotor (17 vs 21), and how many slots in the stator. 

With time of the essence, hoping for an expert opinion. 

Many thanks...

Screenshot_20230401-113711_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20230401-114231_Messenger.jpg

My best visual on this this fan is:

-36 slot stator (not 24)

-17 bar rotor (not 21)

-3 headwire

Is this a high slip 4 pole, legit six pole, or a basic 4 pole that someone put a six wing blade on many years ago?

No possibility to strobe it.

Thanks for any help...

36 slot should be a 6 pole.  Do you have a 4 wing 12" BMY? Put the two side by side and fire one up on high, turn it off. Next fire the other one up on high and then you'll know. Big difference between 1150 RPM (6 pole) and 1550 RPM (4 pole). 🙂

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

36 slot should be a 6 pole.  Do you have a 4 wing 12" BMY? Put the two side by side and fire one up on high, turn it off. Next fire the other one up on high and then you'll know. Big difference between 1150 RPM (6 pole) and 1550 RPM (4 pole). 🙂

Hey Russ- I have a 16", but I'm not home and don't yet own the fan in question. But noted re 36 slot. I read up on the old forum, but there were some contradictory notes, so wanted to double check before purchasing. Thanks...

I took the 36 slot info. from the old website. The difference between a 4 and 6 pole motor wind is mathematics. If you have been around fans a while there is roughly a 400 RPM difference between the 2 motors on full current. Maybe this helps, maybe it won't.

A 16" 4 wing 4 pole BMY just needs a set of wings, it sounds like a whiney airplane on high.