OB McClintock Bank Vault Fans- How they were used

Lane Shirey

Recently I acquired one of the copper-tubed bank vault fans with the little polar cub motor in it. Sadly mine had the tube trimmed, but someday I’ll find a complete one. 

I think we’ve all seen them, if only in the for sale ads.  I always assumed that they were mounted in the vault to keep the air moving in an otherwise stuffy room.  
Apparently this was not the case…read on.

Yesterday my wife and I went to a nearby ice cream shop that occupies an old bank.  If you’re local, it’s the Village Creamery in Shrewsbury, PA.  They’ve modified the old vault to become a cool seating area, almost looking like a speakeasy.  I’ve always admired the copper oxide vault door and locking system made in York.  

I said to my wife “I’m gonna see if by dumb luck there’s an old fan in there” . Well, I didn’t find a fan, but I found something better.  I discovered exactly how the fans were used.  I noticed a rather sturdy device used to seal off an opening. I also noticed the McCliintock name and some information cast into the cap. 

Apparently the fan would be stored somewhere inside the vault, NOT installed into the wall.  If someone got locked in the vault by accident, the secure tube cap was removed and the fan inserted into the tube. This explains the tensioning springs on the copper tube of the fan, and decorative gold silk power cord on them rather than hard wiring.  

Then I started thinking about this system. Why the heavy duty, locking cap on the tube only removable from the inside?  My guess was that they thought the tube could allow a burglar to poke sticks of dynamite through the tube from the outside of the vault to blow it up.  

I’ve never seen this posted so I thought I’d share this part of history. Glad they left it intact rather than removing the tube.  

3A60FE1D-888E-4AD2-A9BB-3936B228BAA3.jpeg

BFCF9769-BE73-4DC7-8B0F-AA5129263712.jpeg

8508D12C-616A-4C19-A36D-75B1D84F55E2.jpeg

854C5962-1203-455C-8606-F088D017110E.jpeg

7789998E-1080-498A-9E98-964732298ECD.jpeg

E0E8430D-942F-44BF-BA19-0A377B003705.jpeg

1DFFB5C7-EB93-4434-AA3F-C2204A0AB46E.jpeg

EB7205AC-B0FD-4FBB-85EE-0B22666FBC72.jpeg

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 3

• Lane Shirey changed the title to OB McClintock Bank Vault Fans- How they were used
4 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Why the heavy duty, locking cap on the tube only removable from the inside?  My guess was that they thought the tube could allow a burglar to poke sticks of dynamite through the tube from the outside of the vault to blow it up.

That makes sense.

Nick Denney posted a cool document on FB that stated that the fan did not fit tightly in the tube to allow return air to pass along the outside of the brass tube and out of the vault.  

17 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Nick Denney posted a cool document on FB that stated that the fan did not fit tightly in the tube to allow return air to pass along the outside of the brass tube and out of the vault.  

That's a no brainer, otherwise your ears would pop based on the CFM generated from a 6" Polar Cub. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Roadt said:

I'll trade you one of those McClintock doors for a fully functional vault fan😁

I sold those 2 vault fans to Roadt for $10.00 a piece. I know that is a little high, but I paid to have the dents popped out.

20230318_223556.thumb.jpg.8e60ae1adfd98afb5dee9783c5640f15.jpg

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I sold those 2 vault fans to Roadt for $10.00 a piece. I know that is a little high, but I paid to have the dents popped out.

20230318_223556.thumb.jpg.8e60ae1adfd98afb5dee9783c5640f15.jpg

That is why I am willing to trade for the McClintock vault door...selfless giver